What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

So, if these pics worked out, the door is a before image - not much reflection off the paint, the second is the rear quarter all finished. As I said the paint is 20 yrs old, no clearcoat. The colour lighted up a bit as well after polishing.

1 Like

Well, I didnā€™t do anything to my car except get excited that I finally have it back!!!

Delivered about 15 mins ago.

1 Like

NOW, the fun begins!!!

Today, April 10, 2018 and a full two weeks later than normal (and we still had flurries today) I got the E-type back in the stable.

(Thought Iā€™d save you the trouble of repeating yourself, old boy).

4 Likes

Where does the E live, during the winter?

That long bonnet will make a great place to lay out tools while working on the 120. :smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

1 Like

Tucked away inside its car cover inside its Car Jacket (R) inside its windowless, locked, monitored offsite storage space. Every spring I find walnuts and butternuts, some whole some eaten, around the car from grey squirrels who somehow manage to get into the space as well as evidence of activity of other smaller rodents but after four years of winter storage in this space have seen zero damage to the car, and it comes out as fresh as when it went in. Itā€™s the Car Jacket. Itā€™s a sealed cocoon in which one places several bags of desiccant along with the (dry) car. Not that youā€™d leave foodstuffs in the car over the winter but the sealed bag permits no odours from reaching outside the bag so the rodents ignore it.

Yes, but only grinders and files and sanding blocks or other tools with enough tooth to keep them from sliding off ā€¦

3 Likes

ā€œā€¦Where does the E live, during the winter?..ā€

Sounds like another gorilla jokeā€¦

Someone has to keep the old ones alive, eh Wigs!?

1 Like

I use a Carcoon and came upon a problem not long ago, after many years I assumed that the Carcoon voltage supply or the fans were failing as it was not inflating as per usual. There is no food inside. After a brief search I discovered that some rodent had chewed through the plastic in several places. Nothing inside the Carcoon but it really irked me.

The car jacket is different. Not inflated. It simply envelopes the car.

Again my comment didnā€™t come across well. What I am getting at is that rodents, if present, will chew into anything if they can reach it. You have rodents present so it may behoove you to take more aggressive anti-rodent measures.

I hear you, Lester. It is a concern. I brought it up personally with the manufacturer before I purchased his product. He claimed in the decades heā€™s sold his car jacket heā€™s received only one report of a rodent chewing through the fabric, which he said is notable because rodents hate the taste of it. Like your experience, there was no damage done to the car, which led him to conclude that the mouse was trapped inside the bag when it was zipped up and the thing chewed through not to get in but to get out.

Iā€™ve gone over my storage space and plugged up any tiny opening a mouse or a squirrel could squeeze through and theyā€™re still somehow getting in to stash and eat the nuts on the trees on the property. Next step will be to drywall in an enclosure.

1 Like

A cat for the cat? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They make sprays that are advertised to repel squirrels. Moth balls, the old fashioned ones and coyote urine are also said to be effective repellants.

Tweety would often live outside, in a loafing shed, with a simple car cover over hin.

I used 15 pounds of naphthalene (moth balls) in and around it: never any mouse sign, and the damn lil varmints are everywhere, out here.

Well hereā€™s what I found out on my newly repaired and painted Eā€¦

That new panels, even from Robey who I thought use the same presses and dies etc as Jaguar did, donā€™t fit exactly the same way the original one did. I just spent and hour trying to refit the gas refill lid and now realize that I have to file/grind the aperture to have the lid close and be aligned decently. As it is, the lid fouls on the top RH edge of the apertureā€¦big PITA and annoying seeing as these new wings cost $1500 a piece!

That the new panels didnā€™t come predrilled/punched with holes for the seal rails around the rear quarter windowsā€¦nor do they have holes for the screws that pass through said rails and hold one of the interior trim pieces (finding this out as I go along seeing as this is the first time Iā€™ve ever seen the car without itā€™s trim in place)

That the new panels donā€™t come with a hole for the forward bolt that holds the rear bumper.

Youā€™d think for $1500 they could put a few holes in the bloody thing and at least have a gas filling aperture that actually lines up with an original cover!!

If you look at MR website, the rear wings are actually at 520/580GBP. This is roughly $750.
Would you expect the gas cover to fit to a $750 wing?.. :wink:

$750 eh! Iā€™ll have a word with my supplier!

Thatā€™s ridiculous from Martin Robey or let they make it in China? Original presses, how can it not fit, then? No holes, no lining for a great deal of money.
Frank.

Made in UK.
Are you sure they have original press dies??

Tadek

1 Like