What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

I completed the dropping of my first Jag engine!

Luckily “refitting the engine is the reverse of the removal procedure”
:joy:

1 Like

I welded in some new studs for the bonnet electrical terminal and removed repaired and reinstalled one of the captive nuts for the bonnet hinge then I got everything back together.

Well, sort of…

I brought mine home from paint shop yesterday. will be fitting the engine when i return to Florida next fall 7 years now…

A sunny day in Britain and a free afternoon so we went to the garden centre to buy seeds and have some tea and a tea cake. On the way back I just had to drive up zig zag hill.

It’s not an alpine pass (nowhere around here is higher than 300 metres above sea level) nor a particularly dangerous road. And the road surface is in serious need of repair. But it was a fun detour, and it is only a few miles from home

3 Likes

Lucky guy. No roads close to my house like this. Houston is not the best environment for an E. Not sure I could get used to shifting gears with my left hand though

David
68 E-type FHC LHD

We ran a Peugeot 308 from the UK into France and it was a left Hooker. It only takes about 4-5 time of hitting the door card before the brain re-aligns itself, round abouts are another thing :slight_smile: Oh and when in France the wife would say ‘turn right’ - I would turn left or ‘turn left’ and I would turn right, a simple change to your side or my side solved that problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have lived for long periods in LHD and RHD countries. I agree that “changing the door card” is an initial hazard. For me, though, the greatest difficulties comes at about 11pm on a deserted road when you find yourself, in momentary terror, asking yourself “Am I on the correct side?”. It is not traffic you should fear, it is the absence of traffic to show you.

The answer to that, on a two-way road, is that if you are the driver, you should be toward the center of the road, and your passenger should be closer to the curb. A rule of thumb that works in RHD and LHD countries, provided the car you are driving was built for that market.

1 Like

69 Coupe

Hey Chrisfell, why are you driving on the wrong side of the road??? Or, Maybe you were taking the picture out of your rear window??

Mark
Murrieta, Ca.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes! I’ll second that! It’s amazing how much is being remanufactured and a lot of it at very reasonsble cost.

I have been to MR and I think the dyes looked very old. But there is more to a panel than just the dye/form.

They did bother to make holes into door skins at least in the 1990’s. But on mine (S1 2+2) the hole for the separate lock barrell (of course, as 1967 onwards there was no hole!) had to be drilled. Where? The PO had gotten rid of the old door skins. :frowning:

And the holes for the RH door handle were off by almost an inch! :frowning: So the holes had to be welded shut and new ones made elsewhere before prep for paint could even get going.

But on the positive side that got me onto Jag-lovers and searching the internet in 1996… :wink:

(Nobody else back then had a 1966 2+2 in Finland)

And back on topic with the availability and cost of spare parts: on the F-car I have, the model just went out of production 15 years ago. I made an order for ca £1000,- GBP ($1500 USD) net (no taxes nor shipping) of various small spares, and over 1/3 of the parts were “NLA”!!! And many of them simple hardware store stuff like self tapping screws and boat canvas fasteners (used as carpet studs) which are available locally but only bright plated and I needed everything in black. Thank God there’s e-bay…

Oh and cost. I was going to replace the trunk seal, nope, it cost an arm and a leg, so I used some cyanoacrylate instead! :smiley: I had to buy a new LH door seal. Just the seal itself (rubber, made in Canada) was almost £400 GBP plus taxes and shipping… ($600 USD) good thing I was able to reuse the hardware, the guides etc for the seal as each of the guides would have been another £300-£400,- GBP…each!

So I think I am pretty happy with what MR, DMG and SNGB have to offer (and not forgetting the rest like SC Parts or Angloparts) for the E-types.

Cheers!

2 Likes

After a motorcycle holiday in England, returning to mainland Europe my friend on his own MC claimed that I ran the “English” way through a round about in Germany. I didn’t even notice. :scream:

Picked up, the final touch for the boot interior, the carpet this morning. It’s now done with soft opening and a hidden strip of switched LED to aid finding tools and spare parts in the dark for those unscheduled repairs.

Cheers … Ole

2 Likes

I visited her at the shop today. Hopefully we are on track for me to make Carlisle show.

The Retro AC kit is essentially done and the shop said it was a major PITA and not as easy as let on (at least for a PS car). Had I realized the full cost, I may have gone another route (I think 2/3 of my total bill will be the AC install).

The PS pump and steering track are remaining big items.

Hey David

They’re just checking the piston to valve prior to assembly. Once the engine is in the FI will be installed, I’m crossing my fingers for Carlisle!!

I bet there’s not many of you with your name on your CRANK!!!:sunglasses:

The deck height was a video so I couldn’t capture it at the top.

1 Like

All good piston to valve clearance is perfect! Even with those juicy cams and huge valves.

![IMG_4515|281x500](upload://lbhiXpLnncCLq31o0szFfBaXEJ8.jpg

2 Likes

While many of the other listers on the E-Type UK foorum are heading to Bicester, I popped out to visit one of my neighbours who has opened up his drive and garage for the public this morning. The Earl of Pembroke is a young petrol head and today was the first of this summer’s Wilton Wakeups.

I was there early, and so got a prime parking spot inside the quad, and next to the Earl’s garage.

The Earl has a fluid car collection. Previously he owned a Veyron and a Porsche leMans racer. Today the centre piece is his Gullwing Merc.

Several cars in his garage are constant, including this E-Type and a seriously modified S2000. The oldest vehicle is this horse drawn sleigh, which apparently traces its routes back to Countess Ekaterina Semyonovna Vorontsov a friend of Catherine the Great.

Outside the garage, next to my E, were all manner of exotic and not so exotic performance cars.

A Koeniggsegg Agera.

A DeTomaso Pantera.

A very nice Bristol engined AC Ace.
And talking of Bristols…

I’ve never seen a Gullwing Bristol before.

1 Like

Nice neighbor and what a car collection.

1 Like

Nearly forgot. This was one of the more popular cars on display.

Very nice event and it looks like nice weather too.

I have a neighbor named Earl who has a Pinto and an old Vega he parks in his yard. You can see both everyday if you wish.

4 Likes

I have a neighbor named Earl who has a Pinto and an old Vega he parks in his yard. You can see both everyday if you wish.

Thanks for providing my day’s first laugh!
Bob