What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Oh cool! I was afraid the Grote looked googly eyed. I may consider these.

After considerable investigation and research, I decided to simply instal an under dash AC unit on my Series 3. Everything is now in place and wired. Just having the man with the hoses coming over today to install all the lines before taking it to get the new system all gassed up, ready for summer. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I fabricated an adjustable otter switch using the mounting plate for the switch I disassembled and a Derale adjustable fan controller I bought at Summit Racing. I cut 3/4" length of 9/16" steel rod and silver soldered it into the mounting plate. I then drilled a hole through the rod appropriately sized for the temperature probe and JB welded the probe in place.

Iā€™ll mount the control box on the upper right arm of the bracket holding the right side cooling fan. Conveniently Jaguar provided a hole there already. I checked it out both on the stove with an ohm meter and attached to the car fan circuit using a hot plate to heat water in a pan with temperature monitored by a digital thermometer. it comes on at 184F and shuts off at 174F The controller is rated for 20 amps which is more than sufficient for the stock fans.

Iā€™ll install it as soon as my gaskets arrive from SNG.

Hi Martin,

If you ever take your to the Autobahn, you will so much enjoy that ratio over the previous one! Especially since now you can actually drive faster than 200km/h. My ex. S1 2+2 had the 3.31, but the O/D turned it essentially into a 2.65, so 200km/h (according to GPS) was only a bit over 4.000rpm. :slight_smile:

I havenā€™t even seen my car for a month and it will be until March for the next drive!

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183
Fin.

Going to be a real cool catā€¦ :sunglasses: :cat2:

1 Like

I thought the 1: 3.07 diff was the best all-round ratio.

Hi,

I thought so too, unless you have a LWB car, in which case you can have the best of both worlds.

BTW any European 2+2ā€™s with the slush box had the 2.97, but then they always also had the triple HD8 SUā€™s as well.

I thought Iā€™d want an O/D in the V12, but I donā€™t anymore. I like the sound it makes at 5.000+rpm :wink:

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183
Fin.

Like this?

I looooove this video, plus, seeing a car used at 10/10ths!!

3 Likes

Well, not exactly. :smiley:

Heā€™s going pretty fast, Iā€™m not sure I would have that much power, nor traction!

And much, much less guts and nervesā€¦

But still, great to watch!

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183
Fin.

1 Like

I tore down Bethā€™y IRS this evening. Came apart smoothly.

Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !

1 Like

Well done, has a very nice period look.

Alan

Truly one of the few videos that makes me miss racing!

Thanks. Iā€™m thinking however to change the brushed aluminium facia to black, so that it doesnā€™t stand out as much. Iā€™ve also gone for a modern Sanden 508 compressor under the bonnet or hood, depending on what side of the world readers are. :wink:

2 Likes

And here is the really thing today, at one of our club race meets. Still makes an awesome soundā€¦ :wink:image

2 Likes

Put a deposit on it :slight_smile:

Um, today I cleaned off the mystery bolt. and measured it as #10-32 x 1/2 inch.

Now I will go out to see if I can find a hole in the bulkhead where it fits. But first, Pizza.

Today I installed the vacuum canister following new starter replacement yesterday. Got it running again and pulled it outside. First time itā€™s been outdoors in one piece in about 35 years. The opalescent gunmetal paint likes shadowsā€¦but check out the reflection of the trees on the bonnet in the second photo. Next is inspection and registration. Then finish up the chrome and headlight covers. Almost thereā€¦

3 Likes

I fitted my adjustable otter switch to the radiator. Itā€™s set to activate the fans at 185F and shut them off at 175F.

2 Likes

looks great. \O/ ā€¦20