What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Rather like Pat’s car (600) my E got wet today.

Unlike Pat, I didn’t have to mop the car out after the deluge. But I did rag it down once under cover again. Advice, rag the bonnet first, before any water spots develop.

1 Like

And, ……relax!

Perry,

Sorry to hear of your woes. I never get out of bed on Friday the 13th! Can I suggest that you start a new thread for folks to help on this problem. If you leave it here on the “What did you do on your E-Type today?” thread, you will either get no responses, or they will get lost in the 8552 other posts and 20 new ones each day.

-David

4 Likes

Went for a nice drive today car ran great. Even pushed it up to 80 mph

Yes, David, a good suggestion. I have been anxious to post the starting of the new engine on “What Did You Do . . .” but I should have asked the transmission question on another thread. I will try to convey the actual sound in another video.
Perry

What do you guys do about watermarks on the cam covers (when washing too)?

Buff them off with a bit of brasso polish

1 Like

Today got the centre console in and radio connected…… only one problem too much padding at the back ….I’ll fix it tomorrow and get it to align with the bolt positions.

4 Likes

Er… wipe then off before they get dry?

Get three good coats of wax on it keep a cover on it ,get a dust brush
Don’t drive in the rain you won’t have to wash it

1 Like

Part of my washing routine involves opening the bonnet and drying the underside of the louver area and toweling up any moisture I can see that got through the louvers.

1 Like

One thing I like about modern paint: No need to wax it!

I waxed Tweety exactly once from when his paint was new, in 2009, till I sold him, in 2016.

Was a lot of work, looked no better. Same shine, same gleam.

Clear coat does look wet and Yes the first coat is work second not so much third easy, you know it’s good when the polish rag just slides off. Its one off the first things I do to detail a car I’m keeping also if you wax up aluminum mags brake dust washes of with water

Protects the clear coat from grime ,abrasion, UV, fly sh##t and anything else that wants to stick as some here have found out
It’s good exercise and lasts years
7 years you didn’t need to change the oil :man_shrugging::flushed::smiley:

Some people don’t like these things but I love it

My ritual:

Wash car with Meguiars wash.
Go over the exterior with a Meguiars clay bar.
Polish with Meguiars Ultimate Polish using a DA polisher.
Wax with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax.

I’ve no affiliation with Meguiars, I just like their products. :grin: :grin:

1 Like

John
I’m getting lazy I use nu Finnish wax on wax off. it’s a polymer supposedly lasts longer but doesn’t shine as well as Carnauba.
To many cars

Apples… meet oranges.

Polish rag slid off not one iota better, apres waxing.

And this non sequitur has what to do with waxing?

Water will slide off of a unwaxed well polished paint job just as much if not more than a waxed one. True shine comes from removing the fine scratches in a paint job.

Wax principally is a protectant, so needed if the car is extensively driven. By protecting the paint it can reduce the need for polishing - polishing does remove a bit of paint so personally I try to do that as little as possible.

For imperfectly polished paint jobs, waxes can have a glazing effect to fill the tiny scratches to give a shiny appearance. That’s what most people do since proper paint correction is very time consuming.

Also waxes do help protect against contaminants in the atmosphere, making it easier to clean them off (if regularly washed.)

Dave

Frankly, I no longer care that much!

Tweety looked virtually as good 9 years after his paint was new, save for the standard rock chips and stone hits on the rockers. The bugs that smacked it… washed off. The occasional bird poop… washed off. The occasional rain…dried.

Driving it up/down my two miles of dirt road… was driving it.

THAT is what made the car enjoyable, to me… driving it. The freedom I feel driving Margaret, not worrying in the least that she is old, rusty, dented and used, is part of the joy in stewarding it.

For those who get their jollies slaving over wax tins, rags, and afternoons not spent driving? More power to them.

The effort I spent–foolishly, IMHO–waxing it made zero perceptible difference,. I’ll continue doing the same with the Ford, It’s a great big goofy old world, and we all enjoy it differently!

3 Likes

Completed the first long run with’ full tank to full tank’ for a fuel consumption check following rebuild.
Over the 138 miles today, the car consumed 25.15L (5.53 UK Gals) = 25mpg. Very happy with that and vindicates my decision (expense) to fit the overdrive unit.

6 Likes

Different strokes for different folks.

The takeaway I get from this is pretty much what I’ve always said. It’s your car, do with it what pleases you most, and don’t knock what others do to theirs. There is no gospel about this and it’s not a graded test with right and wrong answers.

2 Likes