What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

In the spirit of helping my fellow E-type owners I performed a simple experiment today.

A common complaint is the front bumper offers no protection in the event of even a minor parking lot type collision. I’m here to tell you that’s just not true.

My experiment. I put the Mazda 6 in the garage and on the lift to replace an inner tie rod end. When I was done, I slowly backed the car out of the garage, forgetting I’d cleverly placed the E-type in the drive to the garage, so behind the 6.

Slowly backing, maybe slow walking speed; what they called mosey speed in the old West. Bump, No rearward movement, car stopped without my touching the brakes. Look behind me. Mutter expletives several times. Get out to inspect the damage. No damage to either car.

I’m not planning on performing a similar experiment with the rear bumpers, so don’t ask.

4 Likes

Some friend you are.

:wink:

1 Like

John, when you next hear someone wonder about rollover protection, please do NOT do another experiment!

3 Likes

Not such a great day today ……oops

On the plus side the windows and roof and seals all fit very well

Ooops?

What am I missing??

Picture is a thousand expletives

Drilled from the inside ,….Will need to be filled and carefully blended in….fortunately the sheet metal change of direction will provide an edge and I have the paint from the job …… just bloody annoying to have got this far without a mishap agh​:man_facepalming::scream:

3 Likes

Ouch. That had to hurt.

You’re just about done with the project and if this is the only mishap you’ve done great.

1 Like

Put a decal over it and have a beer :beer:

I did think of adding a press stud and putting one on the other side ……. But nah best to fix it properly ….after all it’s being done for someone else and it’s going to be shown by him…….you’ve got to do this stuff right

3 Likes

That was my other idea, for someone else changes everything because you have to sell the idea to them

Cheers

Nice bushings.
I like the “ball” form on the central tube, haven’t seen such a thing for many years. It will increase the radial rate while still gaining some isolation by the rubber. It will guide the arm to pivot (sort-of) around the ball centre so the motion is better defined than with a simple rubber cylinder. Overall it’s likely to add some precision and / or predictability to the wheel motion.
Thus inspired, I’m going to run off and see if I can find a similar one, but smaller. Any suggestions much appreciated.

I had heard about the ball form on the center bushing tube, but hadn’t seen one so when I came across this upon taking mine apart, I thought I’d share the pic with J-Ls. I can imagine it is stiffer in all directions due to less elastomeric filler as well as the “ball” will resist (less compliance) in any rotation crosswise (both up and down and front to back). All in all it is likely a stiffer design than a bushing filled with rubber.

I don’t have any idea though Clive if the new ones I got from SNGB have the center ball. Nor do I have a suggestion as to where to obtain a bushing with the same form factor but of smaller dimensions. Sorry. I should note that in my conversation with SNGB they said they have sold over 1000 of the “cheaper” version with nary a complaint.

…said every part supplier that ever sold more than one part. :rage:

2 Likes

I was alternating between grinding and shrinking yesterday and attacked a particularly shrink- resistant piece of metal (I’d swear it was high carbon spring steel if i didn’t know better) and was surprised by the amount of sparks coming from the (not) shrinking disc. Oops!! Fortunately i didn’t grind a hole through it!

But of course I didn’t complain…I just sent them back!

Finally got the tonneau going had to replace clips with snaps. Sun and leather aren’t the best of friends.

6 Likes

Very nice Dino! I’d love to have one again myself.

1 Like

I wish modern technology would make a snapless tonneau possible!

Dave

1 Like

NAYYY…