What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Not really, just a coincidence, may cause even worse than normal London traffic. :frowning:

Cheers!

Ps. But of course we will pay our respect. :+1:

1 Like

Understatement alert
215+ kph😎

Took it for drive hoping to have resolved an oil leak on the intake cam shaft supply line.
Original solid line, tried both style of copper gaskets with aviation permatex and without. Driving me nuts !
As I keep thinking about it, could it be a cracked line or ………just maybe is it possible the bolt has a hairline crack on the head that opens when its tightened?
Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

Marco

The pipes can vibration crack, or you may have a bad solder joint between pipe and banjo fitting. Or perhaps you are over torquing the bolts? They just need a ‘good tug past snug’ to seal. Assuming of course all of the mating surfaces are free of burrs or nicks.

They are not too hard to rebuild with new copper lines. You can take the original fittings to a plater to be stripped, or just bead blast them thoroughly then solder and have re-plated. I’ve purchased two repro ones over the years from two different suppliers and sent both back.

Not overnighting and generally not fond of the poorly built repro parts supplied today. No burs or nicks, been thru the entire pipe and banjos

I’ll have to figure a way to pressure test the pipes.

Thank you for the reply Steve.

Marco

What did I do to my E-type today…well today and yesterday and the day before…took the looong way around to replacing the blown brake light bulb…my route was as follows…check the wiring to the new brake switch mounted up on the pedal…check!..pull the rear light ass’y off the car and yanked the wiring out to see if all was ok…check!..check for voltage at the appropriate connectors…check!..check the fuse…check!..can’t be the bulb, they are all new…errrrr, check anyway…blown @#@$%@ bulb. Well, there’s a few hours spent that could have been used doing something productive!!!

But during that fool’s errand, I noticed the instrument panel didn’t drop down like it should, so I set about removing it to find out why. It did look kinda skew-wiff, always had been that way but it wasn’t really ever a problem…but anyway, out it came.

That was a neck and back breaking task for an old man I can tell you. Eventually I got the thing out. The ass’y is in two pieces, held together by some kind of captive clips. Brute force and ingenuity eventually separated the two. And then the problem was clear. Even though the interior replacement was performed by a well-known professional organization that sells interior kits, the metal skeleton parts were bent out of shape, and had been recovered TO MATCH THE BENT-UP STUFF!!!

Couple of hours of carefully removing the covering and the underlying foam and then set about straightening said structure. Had to reform the foam and covering such that it matched the now straight metal. Allowed the glue to dry overnight. Then the struggle of the pretzel-like human animation to get the ass’y back in was begun. About an hour and a couple of Aleve, and it was back in, and the instrument panel now folds down just like it was meant to.

While I was in the business of electrics, I also replaced the “dicky” side and headlight switches.

All is now grand and together once again. Took the car for a run and you know what, the car seemed to run MUCH better! I think it was gratitude!

7 Likes

Fantastic.

Where did you put the attachment for the shoulder belt that it doesn’t foul the top or top cover?

I had my red car on the false grid and noted the first 14 cars were red

Then… you find out if you chose the correct shade of red.

:smile:

1 Like

Indeed Paul. NSU Prinz Model 4. I always thought the 1960 Corvair set a styling example copied more in Europe than the USA. That NSU, the BMW 2002 and even more so, one like my 1967 BMW 2000CS.

The only car I lost serious money on trying to restore - The unibody was riddle with rust as mine came from Germany as a private import. I set about rebuilding the engine, the interior and lastly, the body/frame. And that was too far gone. Stupid me.

2 Likes

My 'rents had the exact same car… bought it off the customer for a song, and I still miss that car!

Saw one recently, at a local car show…

It had a beautiful interior…just gorgeous woodwork. It’s front styling was odd and worse with the US headlights. But mostly it needed more engine. It got that with the 2800CS and of course, the 3.0CSi. I really goofed buying this car as someone had covered over all the rusty parts and I fell for it.

1 Like

A matter of personal taste, but I like the European style headlights: God forbid trying to find a replacement glass for those these days!

1 Like

That’s one good looking motor Scot, it’s a credit to your enthusiasm and commitment in taking on the restoration task.

2 Likes

Bought all the next project parts home from factory…. Just shell to come …… now to tidy up and shelve it all

1 Like

Just kept this to show what condition the green coupe was in

4 Likes

And I thought MY welding skills were suspect… :scream:

1 Like

Skills? I don’t see any skills here at all.

1 Like

It’d be worth trying to repair that to keep your VIN.

Replaced but kept for that very reason