What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Over Speed?

:wink:

Actually it appears that “Transformers III” holds the record for the most cars wrecked at 532. Never watched it as it really isn’t my type of movie. I would’ve thought that the original “Gone in 60 Seconds” would’ve been number one as the whole movie was nothing but car crashes.

1 Like

I stand corrected! Blues Brothers had the record in 1980 but it looks like it only took 2 years for The Junkman to best their record. I wonder if the Transformers 3 record of 532 cars destroyed will be beaten any time soon. If so I hope it’s a better movie than Transformers (fill in the blank as to which one…).

Not even close:

The Movies And Actors That Crashed The Most Cars In Film History

Jim Gorzelany
Senior Contributor
I write about how to maximize your automotive investment and more.
Apr 22, 2021,07:20am EDT

Here’s a look at the films that totaled the most vehicles in the course of production:

10. Bullitt (1968): Over 80 cars destroyed.
9. Gone in 60 Seconds (1974 original): 93 cars destroyed.
8. The Blues Brothers (1980): 104 cars destroyed.
7. Blues Brothers 2000 (2000): 105 cars destroyed.
6. G.I. Joe (2009): 112 cars destroyed.
5. A Good Day to Die Hard (2013): 132 cars destroyed.
4. The Junkman (1982): 150 cars destroyed.
3. The Fast and Furious 5 (2011): 250 cars destroyed.
2. The Matrix Reloaded (2003): 300 cars destroyed.
1. Transformers III: Dark of the Moon (2011): 532 cars destroyed.

OOOoooops – didn’ see Chris’ post linking the article
I’ll not delete mine as is consolidates the info without needing to use the link

1 Like

Several times – I drew a complete blank on the E-Type-at-the-service-station scene – – much less with Twiggy behind the wheel.

1 Like

Mine is Carmen Red - had a respray in the distant past. Going back to original Cream when I retire from full time work next year. We have four white (or similar) cars in our fleet. A personal favourite. Preferably with red interior.

1 Like

Maybe I should have said “the most cars destroyed IN A GOOD MOVIE”…
:rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Keep in mind too that “Junkman” was made by the same guy that filmed the original “Gone in 60 Seconds” and that it had some scenes from “Gone in 60 Seconds” in it. His third movie “Deadline Auto Theft” (1983) was really scenes from GI60S and Junkman. It was said that H.B. Halicki, the writer/producer of these movies made Junkman in order to break the record of wrecked cars in a movie. As a side note, if you’ve never heard about the filming of the original GI60S you should take a moment and read up on it as what they went through to make the movie and how they filmed at really odd times to get around needing filming permits is amazing stuff. Also, when you realize that many of the chase scenes were really loosely planned out events as there were actual pedestrians and non-movie cars on the streets it makes watching the movie all the more amazing.

1 Like

Ok… now I gotta watch it!

I warn you now not to watch it for the well written script because there wasn’t one nor for the Oscar-worthy performances as just about everyone was some sort of friend to H.B. Halicki.

Slight spoiler: When the wrecks happen at the Caddy dealer they were supposed to only wreck the first couple of Caddy’s on the front row as those were owned by Halicki but things got a little out of hand and most of the dealership owned cars in the front row received damage.

1 Like

TOTALLY AGREE
I am pretty sick of today’s movies where 80-90% of the scenes are CGI.
I’ll admit, it takes a pretty good actor to emote to/with an unseen co-actor or an animated equivalent.

1 Like

Apparently, Bob Hoskins had quite severe problems after filming Who framed Roger Rabbit?, caused by focussing his vision on a non- existant co-star over long periods. Might have been headaches and double vision, something like that.

Rack out, circlip replaced after all the shims had been cleaned and rust removed (there were 16 of them!). Rack now back in and a brief shakedown bimble of a few hundred yards to ensure everything was as it should be. It is.

Tomorrow I’ll do a spanner check, another visual check and maybe a short test drive. I need to go see a fellow E-Typer who is in the final stages of assembling his ex US coupe. He bounces question off me when he isn’t sure. So far I’ve not led him astray. There’s still time though.

1 Like

Shake down run completed after the spanner check (one nut needed a bit of snugging up).

As for the exUS car its build is coming along nicely. Today’s questions were mainly about wiring, how to adapt the (new) standard loom for a modern alternator, and petronix ignition, refering to my car every so often. This car has an aftermarket air con system, which is a little larger than the standard heater box. I did like the heat exchanger mounted in front of the standard radiator, which also carried mounting brackets for the aftermarket radiator fan. Far superior to the through-the-radiator mounts for my Kenlowe fan.

As I left I mentioned that the exhaust resonators were on upside down. They looked very racy with the ends turned up. Look at mine, the ends are horizontal, yours will fil up with water if left out in the rain.

1 Like

Chris, the alternator on my car came from Classic Jaguar, it’s what they used at the time in their restorations. Their sparks guy provided me with a couple of pencil drawn diagrams showing the wiring as original in the car and how that needed modifying for the new alternator. The new one has an onboard regulator.

If you like I can fax them to you, photos likely wouldn’t show up the pencil lines.

If interested send me a PM with your fax number.

Took pics today some folks wanted to see what I’m goofing with,

bonnet parts everywhere

3 Likes

Nice, are those welded louvres ?

Ya ….you noticed was wondering if anyone would
Cheers

1 Like

Thanks Les. Nick (the owner) is contacting his supplier for details. Their wiring diagram suggests a relay somewhere. Not sure where they suggest that goes, or why.

On your 67 or a different E ?