What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Today:
Replaced the motor mounts and mounting brackets with new ones.

I was also able to extract exhaust manifold studs. Bought a stud gripper and used the Swench to break them free. Some heat, some acetone/ATF and 3 of the 4 unthreaded. The 1 that broke was a torsion failure of the steel. This stud was a replacement, having coarse threads on the bottom. The steel must have been inferior to the OE ones. All the original Jag studs, including a rather short one, came out.

2 Likes

This forum doesn’t like spreadsheet files. Is there a way of adding excel files to a message or a post?

Just take a picture and add it with an iPad

Print to pdf and upload that?

The majority of my time spent working on the S3 was cleaning threads in the exhaust manifolds, on the remaining studs, and drilling out the two broken ones. I raised the engine up on the cherry picker to get at the broken studs from underneath.
Sanded down the remainders to get a flat surface and trued up a punch in the lathe. Eyeballed the center and punched it.

Worked my way up through a number of drills, starting with a pilot. It was a little challenging to drill upward while the engine wanted to swing in the breeze but we got through it. Ran a tap into all of the open holes.

8 new studs installed, the rest cleaned up ok. I left in one that had a coarse thread, the last one i tried to removed twisted off pretty easily.

That sorted, I put the engine and trans into the car. By myself. Got the engine mounts bolted up and installed the trans mount. Nice to see the empty engine lift.

5 Likes

If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet file, so that they may edit and personalise to their taste or requirements, please PM me with your personal email address and I will whiz a copy. Two listers have already received a copy of the file this way.

The UK forum has a knowledge base which contains a number of useful files which can be accessed and downloaded. I think the admins do the uploading. Maybe something that might be duplicated on this forum as well?

You should be able to save the Excel file as a .pdf from the print menu which you can then post. At least that’s the way it works in the Appleverse.

Saving the file as a pdf does not allow the recipient to edit the file for their own purposes. I’m offering an excel file, and so far several listers have requested and received it.
If you just want an image file (pdf or jpeg)…

Maintenance chart blank.pdf (45.2 KB)

Ten recipients so far, not that I’m counting…
Just to repeat, if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet, message me with your personal email address. The message system on Jag-Lovers will not allow excel files.

I made a glove box out of some ABS.

10 Likes

Nice, I like the idea of the built in USB port.

1 Like

Ok soit wasn’t all today!……. Took the front end off as the po had put picture frame on back the front resulting in the reversing on the lhs of the chassis number …… also discovered some bodged stuff with the steering rack …. Not sure how as it was a nos RHD rack……. All fixed now …will start front suspension this week after I fix some other bits n pieces

The main work done so far has Ben the repairs required to the gearbox tunnel and cover…… the po was going to put a 5 speed in it ….God knows what as he had “widened” the tunnel and cut the radius back by 3” added 11/2” to the cover length and cutoff the rear section …… well with my bashing and an expert welder we’ve fixed it

Now for the repairs

Oh yes….more I removed home made heater and vacuum pipes ….I tested for leaks …. Couldn’t get any to hold a vacuum ……when I pulled them I discovered extremely bad work welding that had blown a hole and brazing that not even I would do! And I can’t do it !

Best to find out now !

Hi Chris, please send me a copy of your Excel file.
jimfleet@verizon.net

Best regards, Jim Fleetwood
63 E-Type FHC

As another maintenance spreadsheet wings its way through the interweb, I have to report that due a a prolonged cold snap, all of the British Isles is now frozen and all roads have been or are about to be salted. So nothing will happen to my E-Type for some while, except to tick more items off my maintenance schedule for this winter.

1 Like

Not today, but Saturday.
Hung the PS pump
Installed the AC compressor
Bonnet on
and…
Sent it on its way to PA. It’s my brother’s car that i picked up for him this summer locally.
I gotta say, as an aircraft design engineer, i can really appreciate the engineering thought, design cues and load paths evident in the Jag’s design.
I’ll definitely get one of my own some day.

1 Like

Looks amazing, except for the TR7 lingering in the background.
Put some cardboard in the window for the trip

1 Like

That’s an interesting observation.

If you don’t mind me asking, what size wheels and tires are on the car?

Speaking of lurking – who’s that peeking out from under the wheel opening in photo 3?

Speaking of lurking – who belongs to the OTS in the background of photo 4?

1 Like

Hey!!! The post-strike cars --'78-on – were really pretty decent, if a bit underpowered cars.

Heaters that’d blow you out in the winter, AC that’d freeze you out in the summer, 40 mpg on the highway, and exceptional (for the period) handling.

2 Likes