What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Have you got the part number? I have two 123’s on two of ours. I think that they are both “Beku” brand caps. I would like to get the one that you bought as a “car spare” for when we travel.

Yes, please provide that if you would. I was thinking the same thing.
Dave

Lots of info here recently on caps…inc Bosch part number…think you even commented…Steve 123 Ignition cap failure - better replacements - #56 by WayneM

2 Likes

Here’s the cap I bought to replace the 123 cap.

I found the OE and the Bosche replacement have a very short life, 30,000 Kms or 20,000 miles. The central electrode wears quickly. I always have a spare ready to fit. One downside of the 123.

20000 miles will last me the rest of my life on the E, :grimacing:

Hi,

Some of us like to use our cars a bit more. When I first had my 1972 V12 OTS registered it had only ever done 74.000 kms in it’s lifetime (less than 50.000 miles) At first it fealt like I should use it less, but then I thought for what or for whom? Why not just enjoy the cars are they were meant to be? Driven!

I am planning on driving to the next Goodwood Revival in September again, this time via Germany and France and take a ferry to England with my wife (our youngest son will be doing his military service) from where she will fly back and a friend/relative will be my co-driver for the event and on the way back to Finland. That will be ca 5000km = 3100 miles. After that I will have done a bit over 50.000kms / 31.000 miles with the V12 OTS in ten years.

Cheers!

7 Likes

Good for you! And everyone who gets to drive them like that! A number of things have kept me from doing such miles for so long, that I have less expectations for the future :pensive:

Larry

1 Like

Preach it, brudda Pekka!!!

A car–from a Bugatti Royale to a clapped-out Rover–can only be enjoyed as a car, when driven.

Otherwise, they’re just rolling sculpture (apologies to Gordon Buehrig).

2 Likes

If the emphasis is on “rolling”, as in rolling under their own power, that seems okay to me. :grin:

1 Like

True: maybe THIS doesn’t count.

:wink:

Removed my (new 6 years ago from SNG) fluid bottles due to constant seepage. As I was disconnecting the pipes the clutch bottle outle cracked open, what a mess! Now I’ve got to do paint correction & replace bottle. I’ve still got the stained & dirty old originals which are still good.

2 Likes

See @c1nicole notes on how to rejuvenate the originals

2 Likes

Whenever I work with brake fluid, I always make sure I have a bucket of water nearby: in the case of this happening l, as soon as you dump water on it, it will prevent that kind of damage.

2 Likes

Fantastic, thank you.

Yep, this was moslty from dripping over a period of time.

1 Like

Can you switch to Dot 5? When I redid the brakes completely, I switched to Dot 5 fluid. I like it because it doesn’t absorb water but not damaging paint is also a big plus.

UGH! Sorry that happened. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Looks like you also have the incorrect…multipurpose…hose…it probably weeps brake fluid

Yeah that too, been trying to source softer brake fluid resistant pipe locally this morning, no luck might have to import $$$.