What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Getting closer… The vinyl is out getting the Jaguar symbol embroidered.

Happy with look of the dash counsel.

The lever on the bottom of the speaker box replaces the truck release that was behind the passenger side. Much better position and yes it’s a bicycle brake.

IMG_2826
IMG_2827IMG_2828

2 Likes

Ah, yes. A familiar sight for all XK owners!!!

1 Like

Can you explain? It looks like weld build up around water jacket ports prior to refacing.

Got the rebuilt engine and transmission back in the car and running 5 weeks ago. Today, after local driving and a few road trips of 100 - 200 miles the engine now has 1,000 miles on it. So it was time to drain the conventional break in oil. Treated the car to a new Wix filter and filled the crank case with Mobil 1 15W-50.

Kudos to the rebuilder, Coventry West. No oil leaks, not water leaks, no odd sounds, just gobs of power and faultless running.

1 Like

Precisely: electrolysis between the steel head gasket and the ali head causes these passages to erode over time, plus poorly-serviced antifreeze (which goes acidic after awhile).

Had to do this on many XK heads, but saw much less on engines that used copper sandwich or composite head gaskets.

I am about to start a rebuild on a donor engine. I was able to get my hands on an early 4.2 block. The block was tested and all is good, the head is being checked now I will be looking to the forum for some enhancements ideas.

What’s the preferred head gasket material/type?

1 Like

The standard composite gasket is fine for a 4.2, unless the head needs to be shaved. In that case you’ll want to cc it and use the appropriate oversized Cometic gasket.

2 Likes

If you are replacing upper timing tensioners be very careful that they do NOT look like this, the black one is the original and the grey one is a new replacement notice the very sharp fold as against the nice radius, there have been instances of the bend filing in service due to fatigue cracks.

1 Like

Just some painting and cleanup on parts for the IRS. They cleaned up nicely I think.

1 Like

Refitted the relined caliper that was weaping, apparently no fault was found but it doesn’t fill you with confidence in the workinship! And yes it’s yellow for all the glyptol/black lovers

1 Like

I uhh… I did research on assembly of the bonnet. And seriously considered doing a little panel beating. I almost made it out to the shop!

1 Like

@69E Is that a 2DIN LCD Screen? Care to share more info, I am intrigued!

Thanks!

Hi David

The deck is a 2 din, we managed to save the cage but manufactured a front plate design using mdf then wrapping it in vinyl. It might be a bit over the top but being in my mid 40s I’ve really gotten used to the todays technology and still appreciate the classic lines. The system will blend in nicely with the cars interior. The deck has Touch screen, apple play, GPS, Camera, Spotify…

The box was wrapped today. Happy how the two tone turned out, fits great behind the seats. Chrome trim will be used to tie the two vinyls together… getting closer…

1 Like

It’s that time of year, salt on British roads means my car is stuck in the garage for a few weeks, or more. So, time to apply the winter coat of waxoyl. And that means taking the wheels off, which then get cleaned and polished. I was on my third wheel when I found this…

Blast!

1 Like

OK so it wasn‘t today, but last week…

With davidsxj6 moral and technical support decided to check and adjust the tappet clearance. It was a fun job, other than finding out some of the camshaft cover studs upper threads were „PO‘d“. Waiting for shipment from GB to finish the job. Also did the oil feed copper washers. And checked play on my spare 3.07 differential, turned out to be good so it‘s going in in december 18, just needed brushing and paint. Never wire brush with gloves! Ask me how I know. David took part of my grease gun home to help measure some pressure on his xj6 gearbox. A great mind, he sure can think outside the box. good example for a young generation enthusiast. It‘s fun fettling with an E, especially with this forum, and the UK forum. It distracts from not having a blower Bentley. In other matters, we today received an immaculate japanese Bimmer E38 740i with 30.000 miles for my wife. Her old one has gathered to many miles and quirks. (her car, not her husband)

2 Likes

One NEVER wears gloves, working around ANY whirling apparatus.

A friend of my Dad’s lost his arm, when it was yanked off, from the elbow, down, because he was working on a lathe, with gloves.

Do yourself a favor: look up “degloving” on YouTube, then remove the ring.

1 Like

My son responded promptly DAD! How often have you told me never ever with gloves! I don‘t know how this happened :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

When I was much younger I worked in earthmoving - one of the plant fitters was mig welding a Cat loader bucket. He managed to get his wedding ring between the energized mig wire and the earthed bucket - a terrible mess, lucky to have saved his finger. No rings, no gloves. Paul