What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Or loose sleeves, or long hair.

1 Like

Maybe bald and naked is the safest :slight_smile:

Two words: HOT SWARF.

:flushed::flushed::flushed::tired_face:

1 Like

Two more, “Dangling Participle”. :grin:

Old Carson joke.

1 Like

ROFLMAO!!!

We gotta keep the old jokes alive!

When I learned to use a wood lathe the instructor took great pains to warn us about loose clothing, ties, shirt tales and loose things dangling that might get snatched up by a rotating work piece.

1 Like

Didn’t do anything today…
Thinking of an LSD 3.07 for my 69 OTS
Anyone know where I can find one?

I’d start with Coventry West

1 Like

Even better, do yourselves a favor and don‘t look up degloving; I just remembered what it is. Anything that entangles you is bad, be it rags, rings, hair, dhoe strings, watches if you have bad luck. I‘ve witnessed somebody losing a finger because he cleaned a running jointer with a rag out of sheer stupidity and got sucked in.
We can learn something every time, right? And still forget at times.
Thank you @MartinScherz for the kind words, I think we both had fun setting the tappets and now I also feel up to the task if I ever need to - that time with your technical and moral support. I guess your E will now be leak free as long as you don’t look under it, and run even better!
Cheaper option for the 3.07 could be David Boger? But I think the supply is not as good in North America with most XJ‘s having a 2.88 and no LS.
David

Dino- is your current diff an LSD? If so you can swap the existing pinion and ring gears with the 3.07 ratio gears. Any good Dana diff shop should be able to do that. The only change you need to make is the currently available pinions don’t have the same splines as the drive shaft and you have to swap the aft drive shaft u-joint with one that uses dual “U” bolts.

1 Like

Actually did constructive things, I blasted and painted the headlight buckets, installed the headlight wires, fitted the trim rings. Waiting for the adjusting screws to come in. Also primed, painted, second coated the sugar scoops which will require complete redoing as one coat of paint started reacting giving me “crinkle finish” sugar scoops.

1 Like

Few even know the meaning of the word. One reason that I never run my mill in sandals.

Bethy is likely getting her crank installed this evening. I’ve been working on the rope seal installation and will have it wrapped up soon.

1 Like

Thanks Doug

I’ll look into the Dana gear.

1 Like

Today I reinstalled my rebuilt clock in my Series III. It will be nice
To look at the clock and see the correct time. I love listening to the ticking.
Thank you Mike Eck. Now that my clock has been cleaned so well,
I have to do make the other gauges look just as nice.

1 Like

A Jaguar style, flanged pinion with the Dana spline configuration is available from a couple of sources. So the propeller shaft does not have to be modified. Here’s one vendor: http://www.iwerearendsonly.com/

I found a used 3.07 ring and pinion from an Inernational Scout front axle on Ebay for $25. No evidence of wear as it was from a part time 4WD and little used. This web site (Section/Page 4) has a table with the specific Dana and Jaguar parts required to do the conversion. I purchased the most basic rebuild kit for each, and then the local gear shop selected what they needed from each kit. There are several detailed strings in the archives about this swap. Some owners fabricate shoulder spacers to account for the larger mounting holes in the Dana 44 ring gear (I did). Total cost when I did this was about $650 (used gears, small parts kits and professional tear down and set up). DazeCars, Mustang IRS or Independent Rear Suspension page IV

1 Like

I just ordered a “3.07” positraction differential from Coventry West to replace the 3.54 I now have in the car.

Question: Dick mentioned a speedometer shop in Texas that manufactures custom ratio converters that attach to the rear of speedometer to correct the speedometer and odometer readings. I Can’t find that place. Anybody have a lead?

EDIT:

I think I found a place in Bossier City, Louisiana, on Texas Street. But if anybody else knows of a source I’d welcome the information.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/ratio-adapter-other-ratios-available-call-jim-1-888-2012066/

1 Like

Stereo is finally done!
Looks and sounds exceptional.
1000 + watts of clean sound!

1 Like

Forgot to mention the dash cam. We used a thicker rod to conceal the wire. Hopefully it will add some roll protection :rofl:

I now have an assembled short block. All new bearings, rings and liners. All else was within tolerances.

1 Like