What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

IMG_5421

Rainy dreary day in Boise so sewed the new patches on our jackets and put the decals on the cars.
Thanks Drew!
Cheers,
LLynn

3 Likes

Today I finished realigning the front end and charged the AC system.

A week or so ago I made a simple bracket to hold a spare GPS I had laying around.

1 Like

In disassembly and discovery stage…

2 Likes

That rearward view of the left side boot looks a LOOOOOOT like what Tweety had, when he got drilled by a ‘63 Falcon, in 1967.

That also looks a lot like the underside of my bonnet. When the bondo was stripped, so did the outside of the bonnet. I had it straightened and then finished as necessary with bondo on BOTH sides. Now, it looks perfect on both sides.

Last year when I did my interior I messed up one of the leapers on the headrests. Didn’t realize the gravity of the mistake until I picked up the cover from the upholsterer.
This weekend I manned up and imbossed a new piece of leather, to become part of the new headrest cover.
In the first picture you can see the failed imbossing in the middle and two tests from yesterday. The second picture is the new one. However, a bit nervous to screw that one up as well, I didn’t get the leaper paws quite right - but it will be redone in the next day or so. I may have to make sure the template is square to get an even pressure.

PS: The second picture is a correct representation of the color.

1 Like

I like the first one, well defined if you ask me!

How did you make the template?

I found a cad file for a key fob on-line and a friend with a 3D printer made me several templates in various sizes. They did require a bit of sanding and super glue to make them smooth and without cracks.

Here’s the latest embossing from this evening. A bit more pressure, shoe stretch liquid and heat on the back.

2 Likes

Big spend day. I ordered:
Full RetroAir Kit with chrome bits
Custom XL 3-Point Seat belts
RetroSound Long Beach Stereo

1 Like

Took the bumpers off my S1 so it would fit in the garage…The door clears it now by 2mm!!

Found a few interesting nests under the bumpers…

2 Likes

Like under my DKW tail light…:flushed::flushed:

Never checked, but I may have had similar on the Jag.

1 Like

Wow! That’s one heck of a nest.
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

Glad I found it in the winter!!!

Good grief, Wiggy. You must live in a very active wasp and yellow jacket area.

–Drew

Not sure how it compares: I do find a LOT of mud wasp nests in my sheds, and other hidden-away places.

OJC: it never occurred to me to check under Tweety’s bumpers, before inflicti—er, sending it to Suisse!

:honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:

Geez, that must add a fair amount of time onto your drives. You have to put the nests back in the bumpers, the bumpers on the car, then after returning undo it again. A trip to the quick mart for cream would take like 3-4 hours? Maybe you could just Velcro them on :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I’d consider reconfiguring the storage shelves in the garage.

1 Like

Many years ago a wasp colony had built a nest in an outhouse on my parents property. Mum knew she reacted badly to bee stings so I was asked to go and find out where it was.

I opened the door a little. No wasps nest.

I opened it a little more to see into the room. No wasps nest.

I opened the door enough to enter. Still no wasps nest.

I went into the outhouse to look around. Still no wasps nest.

So I turned around to get out, to find the wasps nest squashed behind the door and the doorway now blocked by a large number of very angry wasps.

Somehow, I didn’t get a single sting. However, I did get down to my Calvin Kleins in about 2 seconds after running through the cloud of wasps.

1 Like

Back on topic, yesterday I gave the E a brief test drive with its new (second hand) four pot calipers and vented rotors.

1 Like