What differential do I have

What diff is this: on the left side facing rear upper flange is cast raised US PAT above 2018188, on the upper flange facing rear is US PAT 1968618. it is a 10 bolt rear cover with the rear cover extended part for internal gear clearance about 3 in wide, the square fill plug faces rearward on the right side of the bolt on cover., it has a very clear raised “69” on a smooth flat on the top of left side (visible only from above), has small cast raised circle with letter “A: within followed by cast raised “44” on lower right rear face. On the bottom of the differential nose is lightly stamped:: B53 135. . The cover bolt heads each have very small raised 1035. The Differential has 46/13 tag in place(, = 3.54) I have verified that it is 3.54 by counting wheel/drive shaft turns. No where is any 2HA or 4HA, or foundry. Car S673776 build date Mar 19, 53. Do other diffs of this time frame have the US Pat #s? The Dana patent nos date from the late 1930s. Is this a Dana 44? Did Jag factory ever mft with this diff? Thanks…pics available. Nick

The 2HA and 4HA rear covers are different, so we can tell you in an instant if you have a photo of the rear cover. The original Salisbury gear works was in the US, so it predates Spicer and Dana, hence the US patents. You will also find 2HA cast into the bearing caps of a 4HA, so that is not a reliable indicator. The 1950’s Salisbury4HA and Dana/Spicer Model 44 are identical.

That sounds like a 4HA. The 2HA ring gear has a larger diameter than the 4HA and the rear cover has a narrow bump to clear it.

Here is a 2HA.
rear%20axle%20005

Here it is again but upside down. Note the narrow hump on the rear cover.
chassis%20005

Here is a 4HA from 681114 built Apr 53.

Note the wider hump on the rear cover.

On this 4HA ring gear is stamped the following.
4HA-016-9 46-13 STC B53 B3

Also on the sealing face for the cover is stamped L1 and STL14.
The main bearing caps have the word LEYS.
I do not see any patent numbers.

1 Like

thanks…seems with the approx 3 inch wide…it is not a 2HA…what has me wondering…the US Pat nos on each flange, and the 44. This car factory dispatch March 19, 53…wonder if any cars near that have similar diff with those marks…? I know Dana-Spicer-Salisbury are all basically same conmpany at that point…would Jaguar factory have some of the US made Dana 44 for some reason…to make up to the xk fitment? I see on the 4HA the Leys foundry mark raised. i have no such mark

and a better of the rear cover.

Sorry to jump the thread here, but does anyone out there know what function (if any) the hole in the tank tray in Nick’s final picture serves? My car, 54 FHC 681343 has this hole as well as a like hole to either side for which I have yet to determine a need. – Regards Joel Miller/Tulsa

This is a 4HA differential.

Thanks Mike S…that is good news…(since parts are quite available)…any idea about the markings on this one…? I wonder if other Spring of 53 cars have similar with the US Pat #s, this one does have the B53 under side of nose. Would any have The circled A with “44”…??? seems to indicate a US made Dana 44 ? So curious as to this axle on this car, but also to ID it a little more cuz I want to change the ratio to something taller…3.07 or even 2.87 or 3.0. …so now starting to look for the gear bits. Nick

Those are used by the factory workers for placing the flat sheet on locating pins in the forming die set, before it is press formed into the tray shape.

For reference, a 2HA cover on the left and a 4HA cover on the right. the second photo is a 4HA from a XK150 (I am NOT the person who painted it orange)

interesting to see the 2HA on the internal “caps”…, the W on each side of cover flat…trying to make out what is onthe upper and lower left flanges…that is where I have the US Pat nos…note also here quite visible are the two vent holes. Still to discover is if anyone has one with the US Pat nos…and what mine is…where it came from. (it is in situ on the car…no plan soon to do the removal…but do want to, to change the ratio.)…so reason to ID it so I may have a clue to parts that will be needed. Thanks, Nick

I believe the top one reads LEYS (upside down in the pic) and the bottom reads 4HA 004

All of them are stamped with a letter on either side of the differential, one letter vertical and the other horizontal. There is a corresponding stamp on the adjacent bearing cap. This keeps the caps on the correct side and in the correct orientation.

as of this eve still a mystery diff…many web searches have not turned up one similar…with similar markings…some US diffs have the Pat nos…but not the A 44, not the 69…and do have other numbers…incl a Dana mfg number on the axle tube that would…if there…absolutely ID the diff to specific car types…alas no numbers at all on the axle tubes. I have not removed the cover…and won’t for some time…Nick

looked closer, cleaned…and found on top right rearface flange this no…18418 cast. Trying Jeep people too.,.don’t know yet.
Nick