What do you think?

Are these original sls shocks and springs or replacements

Springs look original Jag, shocks are standard sls delete kyb replacements.

The standard SLS soring usually have a RED STRIPE.

The normal damper springs usually gave a GREEN STRIPE.

They look like NON SLS springs.

bob

Bob,

I was told a slightly different story by Jaguar Browns Lane when I did the SLS to Standard conversion on my car. I bought what was supposedly the complete factory conversion kit from my local dealer but they forgot(?) to include the longer non-SLS road springs. I refitted the original SLS springs as instructed by the dealer with the obvious result - the car squatted down at the back.
When I questioned this I was provided with a copy of the official ‘conversion kit package’ by Jaguar and from that it was clear that the dealer owed me a set of the longer non-SLS rear springs which were supplied as a ‘road spring kit’ at no extra cost to compensate me for having to do the job twice!

The instructions with that road spring kit were that the enclosed spring spacers of different thicknesses were to be selected according to the colour code painted on the springs. I was told that the colour(s) painted on the springs was merely added after manufacture to identify matching pairs of springs to cater for production tolerance differences in spring length (hence the ‘select on assembly’ spacers to compensate) and was not indicative of SLS or Standard (or even SLS Sportspack or Standard Sportspack as fitted to my car).

Thanks for the info.

I am only going by my experience as all the SLS springs I removed doing conversions had a red stripe and maybe another color in conjunction. They were noticeably shorter than the ones with a green stripe with some other color next to it.

I gave all the ones with the red strips to neighbor farmer/ranchers for using on equipment like trailers they made/altered. No point in putting short springs back on a converted suspension.

Using 3 THICK plastic shims can bring the rear suspension near normal if you must re-use the SLS springs. There is usually a THICK and a THIN per damper.

bob

Bob,

The SLS springs I removed from my car had a Yellow colour code and the Standard springs (eventually!) fitted had a Pink/white colour code - but mine were Sportspack springs just to add to the colour confusion. :slight_smile:

On the instructions which came with the ‘road spring kit’ there were a multiplicity of combinations of thick/thin spacers slated for different colour codes. They ranged from no spacers at all, to one thin only or one thick only or two thin or two thick or one of each top and bottom.

In the road spring kit supplied to me from Jaguar were “Qty 4 p/n CAC9162/1 Spring Packer [Thick] and Qty 2 p/n CAC9162 Spring Packer [Thin]”.

The only(?) problem was that the accompanying instructions stated that for Pink/white coded springs supplied, I should fit “One thin packer at the top and bottom of each spring” - i.e a total of FOUR Thin Packers to p/n CAC9162 - see the problem? :slight_smile:
I sorted it out by fitting packers to each new spring from the removed SLS springs.

I had interesting communications with the Jag dealer and Browns Lane on that one!

Bearing in mind that the SLS springs are in the region of 1 to 1.5 inches shorter than the non-SLS springs and have one active coil less than the standard springs. I never considered extra packing to be a good idea because I believe that for a given load/deflection the packed SLS springs would give a ‘harsher’ ride than the standard set up because of the reduced number of active coils.