What have you Modified?

Where do you purchase alum. Louvres.

I got them from a place called “run cool” after seeing an xjs on their website with their louvers installed on the hood. Attached is a picture. I paid $215 plus shipping. If you want them just give me a good offer. I have them still in box.

Gosh, Kirby you got me, an anti-sway bar( I think Ford stopped putting the mount studs in the rear seat pan in 93 along with all of those other cost saving things they decided) would better describe a bar that operates under torsion to reduce the body roll at the rear from occurring at high speed or violent turns. Hope this clears up the misunderstanding. Best, JW

When are you going to get another later MY Facelift machine to dissect and report on. I have met a fellow Merle Elles (Knoxville Tenn) who is slowly working his way through a later MY convertible and has been coaching me on the Marelli system, its foibles and solutions. He is an olde time aircraft pilot/tech, etc, electronics guy. He recently shared some interesting information on parts of the later electrical systems. Hopefully, it will be compiled and published in the near future. I have also asked Grant Frances of OZ to put together a compilation of his work over the years on many different models of the Jaguar machines he has owned repaired and re-engineered. Grant if you remember was a Jag tech for some 30yrs before suffering an industrial accident in which he almost lost his leg…Great guy to talk to …he rewired his XJ-S sometime past and routed all the big stuff out of the A bank wing enclosure…( photos in the photo albums here)…big job but never had any problems with the change.
All the best as always to you, JW

1 Like

thanks for the interest!

the fuel tank is hi-impact plastic fuel Cell used in some race cars, for collision safety, 22gallon US capacity!

the sump tank is there down low out of sight, it is needed for fuel injected engines, without it when main tank gets low and in a right turn corner, pump could suck in air and engine can stumble/out of fuel, air is returned back to main tank!

fuel filter &pump are SX(essex aerospace ind), kinda over kill can make 120psi pressures, and 1000gal. per hr.,Stainless steel internals for Ethenol fuels!

all the fuel system is alchohol resistant, including lines ,fittings and injectors, and FPR adjustable.

spare,what spare, not needed ,the chance of my tires going flat are about 1,000 to 1. the car is a light weight at 3375lbs , most on front , rears hold the tire sidewall up with only 10lbs air, fronts require around 22 lbs before sagging!

many suspension and brake mods, cant remember them all 22yrs ago!

i run 35psi all round!

like said just about everything is modified, it was a 1978 coupe . you can see that my mods are more for performance than visual changes

Ron

Thanks…I figured you like hi performance when seeing the guard under the drive shaft

a late model 4.2L jaguar engine and transmission, swapped into a 1948 Ford pickup truck!

i heard it go by , and pulled into neighbors drive, few pix ,and talk to owner builder, nice sounding exhaust!

not quite a jag but interesting mod.

1 Like

how about pic of motor

if i see him again i’ll ask him!

Ugh, I lost a post!! It described an old Ford of similar vintage.
Railway Express Agency, REA. Ford from Cowl forward. Custom box back. Much like the UPS of today. I saw it at a local flea market. The shop truck for a local independent Jaguar repair shop. Their livery emblazoned on it’s ample sides. The Ford flat head V8 gave way to a 4.2 Jaguar and BW. It fit nicely.

Decades ago, I had two old Ford pickups of similar vintage.
One, a battered V8 that had seen service as a used car lot push truck. Classic old tech “tune up got it purring”. I got it cheap as it barely ran!!

A bit later, I swapped my 55 Olds 98 Holiday coupe for a similar old Ford pickup. This one much better. Flat head six and granny low. It included a home made tear drop camp trailer. an older couple wanted to go east and revisit home.
The 98 mucsh better suited for high way driving…

Carl

1 Like

great memory perks Carl.

i had couple Chevy/GMC pickups, one became a small tow truck for light duty work!

now the OLDSMOBILE stuff , i owned the 1st model of the Famous Rocket 88 Holiday coupe, 1950 model,for me 1955.

installed a 1952 Olds 98 ,4 barrel, engine with the great Super hydramatic trans, it could hold in gear way past normal RPMs.

that car came factory with a 3.64 gear, so it would out run 99% of any car i raced, in 1956/57,((until the rich boy whipper snapper showed up with a 2 week old 57 Chevy post ,283 twin 4 barrells, 3 speed manual, thats all they wrote after that)).

Ron says thanks for the memories.

1 Like

1988 XJ-S Coupe- 6.0 liter Jaguar V12, modified ECU, stainless steel headers to a 2 in 2 out muffler and no catalytic converters, 5 speed Driven Man conversion, complete body/frame restoration, sport suspension with sport front and rear anti sway bars, rear seat delete from an XJ-SC, TWR body kit, Side scoops behind doors with ducting to cool rear brakes, electric fans and water pump with run on after shut down, Lutz full Monty cooling upgrades, 16" Jaguar 11 slot Sport Wheels, Jaguar Sport steering wheel. All trim except door handles wheels and mirrors blacked out, later model windscreen washer bottle behind right side head lights, power steering cooling run through old transmission cooling in radiator, small louvers welded into bonnet, upgraded sound system with GPS, original color titanium silver/gray with black interior.

2 Likes

Bravo, a truly great machine moved to another spectrum.Please post closeup pics of the rear brake vent mod,zones tricky metal work. Best, JW

Ron:

Yes, Chevvy or GMC 3/4 ton pickups were more or less standard fare as tow trucks in the fifties in my home town.

Circa 1957, the local race promoter decided to have an event for “real” stock cars on a closed road course. These were pretty much off the street on to the track. Our local rich kid whipper snapper shoed up with a bright red brand new post 57 Chev. But, with factory FI. His genius pals used flex tubing from the windows to the rear brake drums.

Another smarter guy with connections was the on of the local Chrysler Plymouth dealer. Smarter and far more experienced. He picked a 55 Plymouth hard top of pop’s used car lot.

He raced it to a win. The Chev kid flipped twice, but the gang put it back shiny side up and away he went. Final placing, not all that good…

Carl

I’m Olds guy too. I’ve got a '51 Super 88 with mild 303/ hydramatic

@KCguy Trying to message you put there’s no button to do so.

From me memory theres a minimum number of posts that you have to make before you can message direct, I could be wrong.

@Robin_O_Connor, thanks for the info.