What I did with my E-Type today and yesterday

I’ve spent a week in Cornwall and until yesterday the weather has been cool and moist. But yesterday and today the sun shone,the roads were clear and …

…well, a picture or two…

That was yesterday at Land’s End. Today we drove around the Lizard peninsular, taking in Britain’s most westerly and southerly points.

And while we were here, another landmark is Britain’s oldest (nearly) Jaguar collector. 17 cars in this showroom, all the personal work of Ken Hall. Apparently, he has a collection of model cars as well. Nice chap, happy to spend a few moments chatting about my car, as long as I was happy to donate a little cash for the Cornwall Air Ambulance service.

2 Likes

Looks like a gorgeous day and a wonderful collection.

–Drew

Very nice! Did you visit Tintagel while down on the West Country? I have a lifelong friend who has a 200+ year old house in Chittlehamholt in N.Devon. We go down there every time we get over. Spent many days/weeks around Lands End more moons ago than I care to remember. Those were the days of caravans, and of course, spending about a week trying to ensure the car would “make it” all that way…about 200 miles folks is all. But the old RME 1.5L Riley was a sensitive old girl…bit like the Jag really I suppose…good times.

Took Dad out for another day out. At 94 he finds getting into and out of the E, even the 2+2 with its wider doors and greater room, difficult, but we persevere.

Today’s venue was a small local steam fair. I say small because also close by is this country’s largest steam fair, the Great Dorset Steam Fair, where this year they hope to set a world record for steam rollers in a parade. Rollers only, not traction engines or showmans engines, just rollers. 200 of them.

Anyway, also at these events is a classic car exhibit, so I thought, two birds, one stone. I’ll enter the E and get access to the shwoground for me and Dad, and have somewhere where he can rest after walking around the showground. But they refused my entry, saying I was too late.

Sodit, I went anyway, and parked the E in the disabled parking. As I was leaving a voice shouted at me, why wasn’t your car in the show with the others? They refused to let me in. But your car was much better than any others! (I know.)

Dad? He was dead beat when I got him home. Happy that he’d seen a gaggle of steam engines (and rollers) in a parade, heard the mass whistle off, smelt the smoke, felt the warm steam.

Another item ticked off his bucket list. And I’ve just racked up 3,000 miles this year. Time for an oil change.

4 Likes

Nice thing to do for and with your Dad Chris…time well spent indeed!

2 Likes

That reminds me of a great 2014 video of a GDSF WWI Steam Convoy Bovington to Tarrant Hinton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQhqXiB8O0

Rod

Drive on Chris!
I love that slate grey mark 2 for sale
God bless your dad!
Enjoy the ride!
Gtjoey1314

The five new Vredesteins I ordered from Eurotire arrived yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised to see they all had a manufacture date of December 2018. Now to take them up to John Blake in Grapevine to have them installed on my wheels.

–Drew