What is a Spider II?

This returns a 404 for me.

1 Like

Try this one

Probably posted by an Italian I know the Alfa Romeo had/have Spiders.

Well, it underwent an “important restoration”, which is good. I hate those cars that underwent trivial or insignificant restorations.

6 Likes

Or stupid and bilious.

:smirk:

I smells a rat I tell ya.

Agreed: again with my tingling BS antennae…:rage:

That just translates from the Italian-French combination into Series II OTS (Spider is just convertible for a bunch of European manufacturer, II Serie is just pretentious). Would you by a Series II OTS from someone who doesn’t know what to call the car?

If I could physically inspect the car and could obtain a clear title? Yes, in a heartbeat.

How many times around here have you read about a part named incorrectly. :innocent: :grin:

Or the ad could have been written by someone whose native language is not English.

I have a hard time putting a non-English speaker’s writing down when I think how well I would write in another language (sometimes English too.)

Especially when it comes to things that outside people might call pedantic. The nicer term for that coined by those in the UK is “anorak” I think. (but there I could be wrong and be slagged by the UK natives…)

Dave

2 Likes

Here’s what appears to be the French ad that the photos and translated text were cribbed from:

https://www.lesanciennes.com/annonce/jaguar-type-e-spider-ii-serie-1968-a565827?ftype=vo

1 Like

Pretty odd that they would choose mid Manhattan for a fake car ad. Usually they locate the car in some remote mountain town in the Rockies, to discourage personal visits.

I replied to an ad about an E in Oceanside.
When I responded that I wanted to see it, I was told it was in Philadelphia.
When I said I would fly out with cash, the story changed again.
A friend at H.S. traced the ad to Poland.

1 Like

Anorak is correct , though said with some derision .

Good catch Geo. Did you use Google image search? I pushed the “flag” on Craigslist, won’t make any difference.

2 Likes

Absolutely makes no difference if it is for sale by dealer. They never take down a paid ad.

That may have done the trick - the ad now reads:

This posting has been flagged for removal.

3 Likes

Ici la traduction ( here is the translation): The car was built in August 1968 and left the Jaguar factory on Sept 20 ( of the same year), headed for the American Market. The car underwent a significant restoration, with the result including a change of the interior and exterior colors, originally grey exterior and grey interior. ( ed. Note its now black ext and red int). The original posting is on a France- based old cars for sale website… “les anciennes” being " the old ones". Probably an equivalent of Hemmings, etc.The “spider” part makes no sense in French, so can’t explain.

1 Like

A “Spyder” merely means “convertible” so in this case it probably means a SII OTS.

1 Like