What is a Tag please

I am attempting to place an ad in the classified section of the site. The program is asking for a tag. What is a Tag?

Thank you
Lou Danzico

May I suggest that someone post clear and concise directions on how to posts an item for sale directly above the posting site. Each time I use the for sale function there is something that does not work as anticipated. I realize that this site is manned by volunteers and I am grateful that it exists. But I have to think that the difficulty in using the system limits participation.

Lou,

I‘ll put this into the ‚site feedback‘ list.

The forum software (how it looks, the possibilities and so on) are predetermined.

Tags are not needed, but optional. I don’t think they are helpful, so you can leave them out.

I never put up an ad, so I don’t know how the process works.

David

Lou:

Classified ads are as simple as posting the message you started this thread with.

Just follow the below format. I copy the below and add the information I want a prospective buyer to see. You are not restricted to just those headings, you can ad in anything you think a prospective buyer might need to know. Pictures can be added just as you would add them to any post. The last two paragraphs that I put in Italics should be added to the bottom of every ad.

Description:

Asking price (if selling):

Contact information:

Cost of shipping (if selling):

Willing to ship worldwide?

Please always be careful before sending money or valuables to someone you don’t know. Use an escrow service if you’re not 100% certain of the identity and integrity of the person you’re dealing with.

By using this service you agree to resolve any and all disputes with the other party directly, and to indemnify and hold Jag-lovers harmless from any claims, losses, liability, or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that arise from your use of Jag-lovers and this service.

1 Like

You mean, like this?

Gunnar

1 Like

A tag is a very common mechanism for categorizing and sorting messages and posts. They’re built-in as a standard feature of the Discourse software.

In the case of posting to the Classifieds category, you have to select either “4sale” or “wanted” from the pull-down list of tags. This is so other people can easily search for ads by searching for the tags.

Gunnar

Can that, along with the format, be put at the top of the section as a “sticky”.

It already is! At least for new users. The way the system works, pinned topics are only pinned the first time you see them. I’m looking into changing that, so pinned topics stay pinned for all users.

Gunnar

1 Like

John: thanks for a very thorough explanation, and I heartily agree with Gunner’s suggestion of placing his explanation at the top of the Please do!

Regards

Lou