What is happening to posts added to the forum?

This morning, whenever I respond to a post and hit the ‘Reply’ button, the entire thread, including my response disappears!
I cannot get it back unless I check out of J-L and reconnect whereupon everything returns to normal.

WITHIH?

I noticed the exact same thing last night. Thought I’d wiped out the entire thread somehow.

Bryan,

Something seems to have got bent in the last round of updates. I’m trying to narrow in on what is causing it. So far all I can say is:

It seems to happen when you click on a recent post immediately after the notification appears.
It is the same for public as well as private posts.
The post is stored, it just doesn’t get rendered during the page display, so you see everything normal… just without the bit that you want to see.
You don’t need to log out, just waiting 30 sec after the notification appears, or if a page comes up empty then just go to any other topic, wait 30 seconds and try again.

If it were an Jag I would say faulty ignition switch, fuseblock, or poor earths. But until smoke starts pouring out that is about all I can say.

(I’ll move this to Site Feedback)

Aha… so at least we know who broke it!

What Browser are you using?

Andrew,

Firefox.

Only happened today. Never had a problem before. What has changed?

Bryan N

Did that. Composed reply, hit ‘Reply’ button - my response did not appear. Waited a minute or more, still nothing.
Went to a different topic, waited a while longer, when I returned to the original topic the entire thread had disappeared as well as my response.

Now will return to original topic after posting (?) this to see what happens.

What was the category/thread you were posting on?

XJ40 forum " 89 XJ40 - no acceleration at all" thread

Started happening to me yesterday but I thought maybe I just hit the wrong key.

Was more careful this a.m. but it still occurs – after hitting ‘Reply’ I am back looking at the thread but w/o my response. A ‘refresh’ of the page causes it to appear.

Mentioned posts were on the E-Type forum. Using IE browser.

Follow-up - did it on this one too, though the edit worked fine.

No joy. Had to exit J-L and reconnect before the thread reappeared together with my response.
It is happening on XJ40 and Site Feedback forums - so will undoubtedly happen to this response too :slight_smile:

And it did! - Although the ‘edit’ worked fine.

Bryan.

As far as I can tell it is a timing issue. If you logoff, or restart your computer you just ignore the issue/give the system a bit more time. I noticed it yesterday evening, haven’t logged off or restarted my laptop, but if I give it enough time when I go back to a post/topic which wouldn’t load then it is all there.

Can you please confirm that what you wrote did not, in fact, get lost, but rather that it was just temporarily invisible?

Correct - not lost, just would not appear until I logged off and logged on again although the post count at the right side did show the addition of a response as soon as I hit the ‘Reply’ button.

No doubt the same thing will happen again now - but I will leave it ‘live’ and see if my response eventually appears without touching anything else.

I know it’s tedious guys, but please report here every time it happens to you for the next 24 hours.

Just a quick note including:

What category/topic it was on, or if it was a PM.
What time it happened.
How long it took (roughly) until you were able to see the correct contents.

Unfortunately this isn’t causing any log entries or error messages, so the only way I can tell if it is still happening is if people report it.

It happened to me last evening about 6:30 Eastern when I posted on E Type.

And again with the above posting. I waited 60 seconds, looked at topics on E type and on Pub, but it still didn’t appear until I closed out J-L and then reopened it.

Interestingly, the edit appeared immediately.

Andrew,

Same thing again. Left the topic open, went to get a cuppa so away perhaps 10 minutes and still my response hadn’t appeared but all the other posts in that thread were visible and the post count on the side had risen from 12 to 15 without 13,14 and15 actually appearing.
Clicked off thread on to main index, waited a while and then back to this thread but now all the earlier posts in this thread had now disappeared!

Furthermore I had two PMs against my name but I could not now read them until I logged out and back on again - whereupon all 15 posts in this thread reappeared.

$*%"&! computers!! :slight_smile:

test posting…

Edit: It didn’t appear immediately, I clicked on refresh and the post appeared at the bottom of the string. Yesterday I had to get out of and get back in JL to see the post.

Same here, XJ40 forum about 9pm Pacific last night.
After I hit the reply button after composing a post, screen went a bit haywire & looked (at first glance) that there were no replies/posts in the thread at all - however, when I scrolled down, the topic post indicator/slider did show up superimposed on the footer, indicating there were a number of replies.
When I clicked on it to see where the heck my long a detailed post :slight_smile: had disappeared to, my post flashed on screen for a split-second then disappeared along with the post indicator/slider. Thankful the post hadn’t vapourised, I tried refreshing the page, no go, so closed Firefox and re-started it, and everything came back to normal.

I thought I’d caused the issue as I began the post with my VPN on, but later switched it off when I actually hit the reply button …but maybe not!

EDIT: OH no it just happened again on this post - I closed the browser and restarted and it’s back to normal.

A post was split to a new topic: Tracking notifications