What is this Lucas part?

1988 Lucas V12

Spending some down time pulling off all the relays in engine bay, giving them a good clean, and reassembling with dielectric grease

What is this big electrical thing with IMPORTANT on it? Over by windshield reservoir.

Looks like a starter relay to me.

Cheers
DD

Great, thanks. It had no corrosion on important bits.

Reliable part?

Mine still works! It can be replaced with a generic relay on cars with ignition systems that you and I have.

They usually solider on for 10-20 years. If failed, they can be opened up for cleaning…which often restores correct operation

I use a $15 Chrysler starter relay from the neighborhood auto parts house

Cheers
DD

1 Like

In my 82 it is the starter relay. Behind the right kick` panel (rhd) in my drivers foot well there is an almost identical relay called an inhibitor relay. Has a slightly different warning on the top. In my clean up a few years back I found both of these had working but burnt contacts.
Trev

Mine recently failed. It was easy to get one from one of the usual suppliers. Taking apart the original one was easy and cleaning it up restored its operation though I didn’t feel like trusting it after that hence why I just bought a new one.

Is failure no start, like battery is dead? Or no start like engine turns over but won’t start?

Greg, from memory, with an ignition setup like ours, the engine may not turn over. With an earlier ignition system, the engine may not turn over, or could turn over but not start!