What is this piece of trim? Is it factory? I can’t seem to find it anywhere

I just skimmed through most of the photos of original S1 and S2 cars on the UK site and couldn’t find any with that windlace strip. Every one I looked at shows the flange simply covered in vinyl…

You are missing one on the 4.2 section. Look carefully. It is there.

Hi Joel
That’s interesting to hear… can you take a photo? I’m wondering if my FHC had some on the A pillar too that maybe got lost in these last 50 years.
Robert

No it wouldn’t have that piece. The 2+2 has different sheet metal structure there and entirely different kick panel trim and the windlace is outboard of that.

You can see it just to the right of the chrome bonnet lock handle on the right hand kick panel.

Robert;
I will post a photo of the 'A pillar on my S2 (1970) 2+2. I do not know if this material was used in FHC and OTS cars. I think some interior suppliers may have this in black. I used my original pieces.
1-2015-01-26 08.04.22
This photo shows the right a pillar looking toward the front of the car.
Regards, Joel.

OK, I went back and looked. None of the 3.8 cars in the 3.8 Factory Fit section depict the windlace. I couldn’t find it on any of the OTS 4.2 cars…only the one 66 FHC. And unless I missed it, the Series 2 cars in the factory fit section(only OTS) do not depict the windlace. I still wonder if this is an owner installed fix for the typically worn upholstery on that sharp edge.

From my 69 2+2 herringbone pattern no longer available as far as im aware but other patterns are…Look up “Titanfast”…the product name in the UK more info here http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8421&hilit=Titanfast

I think someone said it was on the FHC only. If you look at the photos I posted earlier you’ll see the chrome trim at the top of the B post extends out to capture the top of the windlace. If you remove the windlace the chrome trim would just stick out, which would look strange and tend to catch things. That’s why I wanted to replace it, as there is a need for something to be there.

1 Like

From the 4.2L Series 1 Parts List: Body FHC.

BD.21068/5 DRAUGHT PIPING ON TRIM PANELS 49-51 2
(illustrated in Fig49, item 51)

The part number of the trim panel that these attach to are different for the FHC and OTS, and the OTS has no corresponding “draught piping”. The SNG Barrett web site lists the stuff as “Furflex” and it is available by the foot. Whether it is the same stuff as originally fitted I can’t say, but SNGB list it under that part number.

For the 3.8L cars, the Trim Panel for the FHC changed at 861098/9, 888301/2. The “draught piping” was not present before the change, but was included (same BD.21068/5) with the later trim panel. This change is described in Spare Parts Bulletin P.79, dated April 1963.

2 Likes

Well alrighty then…

Robert in case it helps here is that same area on my Feb 19 1968 FHC. My best guess is it has never been changed on my car. I bought my car from original owner with a bunch of receipts that only mention re-covering seats, dash pad cover and new carpet many years ago. I also have a 1974 Chevy Vega Panel wagon that has the same type of material in the door jam area that has the texture to better match your photo above so may have been quite common on cars in '60’s and '70’s.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

So! My purchase of windlace just showed up and I’m very pleased. It’s a good color, seems well made. More refined than the vinyl. Looks like they used some sort of a shear type cutter, and it deformed it. I’m thinking I may use a cutoff wheel when it’s time to install. Two thumbs up :+1: :+1:. Thanks everyone!

Also I found a car online that seems to have the same windlace installed, so I’ve included that here as well.

2 Likes

Interesting David. I thought mine was original too, in particular because it looks so worn… but my car was, I believe, built in March of 1968 so maybe they switched? Regardless I’m not a stickler for originality and I like material I bought.
Thanks!