What is this? Under the hood front rihgt

Can anyone tellme what this is?

David, It is the solenoid valve block for the ride-leveling suspension system

See here :slight_smile:
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/jaguar-xj6-parts/steering-and-suspension/ride-level-system/solenoid-valve-block-ride-levelling

Thanks Bryan, since one of the lines is not even connected I guess I don’t need it?

David,

Unless the rear suspension on your car has been converted to standard non-ride-leveling shocks your ('89?) car will suffer from a very poor ride and handling and unless the brake boost has been converted to vacuum assist, braking won’t be too good either.

1 Like

Sounds like someone deleted the SLS but the Power Assisted Braking System still needs it as Bryan stated. It regulates the Brake Pressure for power assist. (it contains a pressure relief valve)

The 4.0 liter cars (1990MY onward) can lose the entire hydraulic pump/valve block with related hoses.

bob

Thanks mcman, I need to look into this further as I have some clunking on bumps and when I jump on the trunk she bounced and clunks. One port is removed and a bleeder is installed on the manifold, but the shocks still say air, something. Also the rear end is noticably lower than the front.

The rear dampers are pretty much the same from 1988 to 1994 and SIMILAR up to 2003 sedans.
The UPPER spring isolation dampers are a foam substance that crumbles and the flexible damper mount guides deteriorate. The top mounts start cutting a groove into the steel spring/damper mount and causes a lot of noise.

Remove the entire assy, rebuild and reinstall.

bob

Thanks Bob any idea where I can purchase an inexpensive shock and spring set? Looks like the previous owner disconnected the line under the hood but left everything else on the rear end.

I’m sure the dampers were replaced. The SLS dampers cannot be used without the hydraulic system.

The dampers are likely OK and you just need to disassemble, assess and rebuild the worn damper/spring assy.

bob