What Parts should I pull of a Carb V12 motor if I have to scrap it?

Tony
If you decide to part out the one engine I would reckon these parts will be of use to a Jag-Lover:
NLA = No Longer Available
Prices taken from SNG Barratt 04FEB22

Distributor (as you already said) (British Vacuum Unit in NH will rebuild (all new bushings, bearing, et al), new cap, and install vacuum advance for ~$250
Ignition Amplifier
Ballast Resistor Pack
Coil

Air Filter Housings and Trumpets - NLA (can be pricey – I’ve seen on eBay for couple hundred $$)
4x Intake Manifolds
4x Induction Housings (NLA) or
2x carbs on a pair of Induction Housings
4x carbs or
2x carbs still connected to a pair of intake manifolds
Any combination of the above
fuel anti-return valve (just forward of driver’s side pair of carbs) $34 new
All the steel lines (fuel, air balance, small, thick, etc) bridging over the block between the carbs and intakes - many/several are NLA
Throttle pedestal and 2x long and 2x short throttle linkage arms (NLA) with pivots
2x steel T-fitting nestled between each pair of carbs. The long arm of the tee is barbed; the 2 short arms are smooth. $44 new

2x front thermostat housings
2x rear water rail housings (NLA) or not available on-line

A/C Compressor
A/C Compressor mounts
A/C Belt Idler

Alternator (new and refurbished - $350-500; still need a core though)
Voltage Regulator
The 5-6 relays (which may not be present on block; may have stayed with car)

Oil Pan (if engine is out of E-Type, nice return ($$), if for XJS, plenty around)
Oil Pan bolts
Oil Cooler (NLA but aftermarket) and 2x elbows ($135 for after market) (flows the coolant thru itself thereby reducing oil temp by 20°C while raising coolant temp by 2°C) NLA but after market available
Oil Cleaner Assy (holds oil filter) aftermarket available
Oil Feed Pipe - also takes oil pressure sender; if the feed for the block is behind LR exhaust manifold, not so nice, if the feed for the block is below and behind the throttle pedestal, if have something NLA
Dip Stick and housing tube

Water Pump (rebuild kits available but need core)
Water Pump Bolts
Water Pump Pulley

Cam Covers (if they have the cast-in “Jaguar” just behind the timing chain “bumps” = ~$350-400 for the pair; otherwise, ~$100 for the pair)
ConRods NLA
ConRod Bolts/12-point Nuts (I have found 1 source for new ConRod Bolts at ~$28 each)
Crankshaft - used $260; aftermarket new $5,250
Crankshaft Pulley - NLA
Crankshaft spacer NLA /oil pump drive gear ~$90 new
Crankshaft Sprocket (if not worn)
Flywheel
Jackshaft Sprocket (if not worn)
Harmonic Balancer (even if it needs rebuild, you’d need the core; Damper Doctor charges $350 for rebuild)
Heads
Tappet Blocks
Head studs - 26 on each head; 52 total
Camshafts
Cam Sprockets (if not worn)
Short Block
Timing Chain Cover

Exhaust manifolds (new are ~$275 - if not cracked used are just fine)
Exhaust manifold shields

Craig

2 Likes