What’s this wire - series 3 1985 alternator

What’s the blue green wire thingy on the back of this original alternator? Do I need to transfer it to the new one or replace it?

I had the battery light on but still actually charging. Battery light sometimes glowing with ignition off.

That’s a capacitor, intended to minimize radio interference. Might as well move it over – or perhaps buy a new one.

That means that there is a leak to ground through the alt, Martin. However, it may be that the capacitor, mentioned by Kirbert, is ‘leaking’ - remove and see what happens?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

It could be; elsewhere I’ve read it’s a bad diode that causes that light. Anyways I’d rather only have to put it back in once. There’s a capacitor that looks similar for old AC Delcos that seems readily available so I’m thinking I’ll pick up one of those to replace.

That referring to the diodes inside the alternator, Martin - and is indeed an indication of defective diode(s). Which will also show up in a very high current in an external battery current leak test. Faulty diode(s) will feed the battery with alternating current - which won’t charge it…

In this case; the external capacitor, connected to ground as a radio noise suppressor, may leak - lighting the warning lamp. Disconnect for testing…

Frank

Thanks for the help. I found an AC Delco one for $10 that seems fairly available and a good fit.

Got it in and all seems well - no more scary lights. I think the voltage had been running a bit low for a very long time. Never trouble starting but my windows definitely work better now! The volts gauge stays much closer to the 13.

Well… it worked fine for a couple days but now it’s back to…

Haven’t had a chance to properly investigate but:

When idling voltage gauge drops quite a bit (yes need to quantify with a real meter).

Driving/higher RPM the battery light comes on and voltage goes back up. Brightness of battery light is kinda proportional to RPM

This may happen if battery voltage is very low, Martin - or battery connections are ‘imperfect’. The lamp will light up in response to voltage difference between the two lamp terminals. Ign ‘on’; 12V from battery - and ground through the alternator. Engine running; 12V from battery and 12V from alternator - no voltage difference, no light. Or lots of volts from alt; little from battery - lamp will glow. The actual charging from the alternator is best monitored with anything but the dash gauge…:slight_smile:

It’s all a bit odd - have you tried removing the installed capacitor? It may have failed thrugh overload…?

Frank

I guess that capacitor is as good an explanation as any, I’ll see if I can try that. The connections all seemed like they should be ok, I cleaned it all pretty good and put lots of dielectric grease on everything.

At least I made it home without incident driving across Chicago at Friday rush hour, 95° Aircond trying it’s best with at least half hour of barely moving.

Makes sense about the voltage differential. Could it be caused by a wacky battery? It’s fairly new but it’s been allowed to flat a couple times which I know isn’t good for it.

The battery warning lamp is there for a reason, Marin - so if it is lit/glowing something is not quite right…:slight_smile:

As long as the battery keeps it’s charge and voltage, it is likely OK - but as a routine, you could check battery external current leak. Disconnect a battery clamp and measure current between the post and clamp - it should read either 20 or 35 mA. Higher currents implies something drains the battery…

Frank