What servicing to do with 30 year old Carbon Cannister?

Good morning gents(afternoon across pond)

Any insight for replacing purge valve or bypassing the purge valve all together?
How about service to the carbon cannister?

Don’t know about the valves, but you can cut open and replace the charcoal in the canister. Just buy activated charcoal from an aquarium store.

personally
l would
drill a couple of little holes near the top to allow it to breathe…
but this isnt something l would recommend
unless l could plug them up
with
say
hotglue…

it would depend more on what the problem is,
what are your thoughts?

1 Like

Thank you for advice.
No real issues with the exception that it’s 30 years old and I cannot imagine it is working as efficiently as it once did.

James,
…on you tube
they have various videos addressing the canister, and insight as to refurbishing it.
Hope this helps

1 Like

I rely on the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” adage.
As far as I know, the one in my 83 is original. No issues. When I installed the Lt1 I merely connected the cannister line to the purge on the LT1.

Even the CA SMOG referee passed it.

As a factoid. It is a GM product. I have a GM unit in my spares. Almost a dead ringer.

At some damage to the air we breathe, it can be dispensed with in it’s entirety.

Carl

1 Like

In general, the carbon canister itself doesn’t need any service. If you wanna fiddle with it, you can open it up, bake all the carbon granules or just replace them with some from a tropical fish store, put them back in along with a coffee filter to hold them securely in place, and seal the container back up with aluminum tape.

Outside the carbon canister there are many things you can do. Whatever valves are used to control the venting of the tank, install inline fuel filters on either side of the valve arrangement to prevent crud from getting in and jamming the valves.

Whatever the vent valve scheme is, add a solenoid valve bypassing the whole thing such that, when the solenoid valve is open, the tank vent is directly connected to the carbon canister. Connect the solenoid valve to ignition so it opens whenever the ignition is on. If you have 3-wire oxygen sensors in your exhaust system, one of those three wires is sometimes a convenient spot to pull ignition-switched power from.

The carbon canister has an opening to atmosphere. It might just open into the compartment it’s in. Attach a hose leading outside or underneath the car.

Thank you Kirby great ideas. Looking forward to playing w it.