What was this LSD fitted to?

An old friend of mine has a Salisbury LSD which he can no longer recall what it was fitted to, can anyone help identify it.

There is an aluminium tag with 3.058 stamped on it which I assume is the ratio, however there are two other stampings on the case, they being, P83 and 3988. I suspect the 3988 is the id number of the unit, but have no idea what the P83 relates to, can anyone tell me which Jaguar this came out of and approximately what year.

I understand that this code when fitted to E Types started with an E and numbers gave the year, so perhaps the year of our differential is perhaps 1983?
Thanks
Tony

There should be a tag with PL (‘Powr Lok’) but it is easy enough to check if it is an LSD. Turn one output flange and if the other turns the same direction it’s an LSD. If it turns the opposite way it’s a normal open diff.

I have a Swiss or Belgian Series III Sedan imported as a GREY-MARKET car in the mid-1980s.

It has the 3.05:1 ratio.

The 3.05:1 was never offered in the US as a standard ratio.

bob

Has the diff got a drain plug underneath?

Hello Peter
Yes I forgot to add that there is an aluminium tag with PL on it. In answer to your second question, yes there is a drain plug.
Motorcarman, the diff is in the UK.

Thanks for the help both
Tony

Or, possibly not any jaguar or if so, a very early model .

IRS. or spring leaf model… axle tubes and outboard drum brakes??

Carl