What year is my car?

I recently purchased what I believe is a 1970 E Type. The title however says it is 1971. The Vin number is 1R11368. Is there a way to get definitive confirmation of year built so if necessary I can have title corrected? Tried the JDHT site but don’t have all info they require.
Thank you

I also have a 70, titled as a 71. Look on B pillar for the month and year of build.

XKEdata.com shows the car right before yours with a manufacture date of November, 1969.

Tje entry in XKEDATA.COM for 1R11316 indicates a November, 1969 build. So, your car is an early 1970.

http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1R11361

If in North America your car should have a sticker or plate on the drivers side door jamb that indicates the month and year produced. That date will be your model year because its the date that the car was certified for emissions. You can check for cars nearby your vin on xkedata.com. It appears your car was most likely built in Nov. of '69 which unless held by the factory for some reason would certainly make it a '70 model as production for the next year’s model usually began in August or September. Attaching a photo of the plate I speak of.
pauls

I believe all true 1971 4.2 models will have a car number beginning with 2R… or P2R… (if they had power steering):

So far as I know, all 1971 6 cylinders were built in 1970 to appear along side the V12s in showrooms starting in the fall of '70.

To the OP - I have been able to persuade my MVD to change the year of a car based on documentation showing what model year the manufacturer had in mind. A build certificate is ideal though I have been able to convince them with just one of the reference books that list ranges of car numbers by year.

Thanks Paul, I found the plate and it says the same as yours. Calling DMV to figure out how to get title corrected. These cars are twins separated at birth but mine was Primrose to start with and lives in Destin FL.

vin

The 1R prefix is meant to be registered as a '70. Your was most likely first sold in '71, so titled as a '71.
The 2R is the start of the sll, '71 series. (P2Rxxxxx if power steering). Mine (P2R13939 was built on May 23, '70, one of the last of the sll run).
Around the first of July, '70 the sIIl construction started.
LLoyd

It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Where would I find this sticker on a 1969 Series 2 FHC? I can’t find one the drivers door jamb.

Bob, I can’t be sure if the car wasn’t destined for the USA but as of '68 the federal emissions controls were mandated to specific tolerances. Therefore some information was mandated to certify the car met the standards of that year. If the car came to the USA it should be there and if not there holes as evidence it was there. Some later cars only had stickers which could have been torn off but I’m not sure of the date that happened. Here is a photo of the plate on a late '69.
pauls
nVxYpu

I don’t think early S2s had that tag on the B pillar. They do have a tag (car number but no date) on the windscreen post.

I do have that, thanks. I was worried that my car was missing something…

You’re probably right George, the '68s didn’t have them either. Though I know emission controls by year was closely monitored by the fed. so hopefully distinguishing model year shouldn’t be a problem.
pauls

Same here. Mine has the same tag but no date (1969).

A quick search of early '69 model year cars I found no plate so apparently it was late '69 when Coventry started applying them. I learned something today.
pauls

Perhaps it was at the same time they went with the abbreviated data plate?