What years did jaguar fit a 4l60 (GM) automatic on a 4,2 six?

I read that they used an adapter EAC3582 --anyone have whatever is necessary?

I could be wrong but I don’t think that the 4l60 (or GM700) was ever used by Jaguar. There is an aftermarket kit from John’s cars to fit the GM700R4 to the XK engine.

EAC3582 seems to be an adapter for use on the Daimler DS420 limousine. I read that car originally had BW8 or BW12 transmissions but later versions had the GM400. Maybe it’s the adapter to fit the GM400 to the XK engine?

David

Right!

Jaguar did use the 4L80E, however.

Right !

As a side note, the 400 trans became the "3L80"when GM changed the designation system for transmissions

Cheers
DD

1 Like

I now have learned my first fact o’the day!

1 Like

Me too!!!

A couple of years ago, my daughter’s gal pal had a GM Catera. A 'sorta" Cadillac. In fact, a rebadged German Opel Not a bad car, so I heard. The it’s transmission failed. Her pal mechanic, a GM tech by day, moon lighted in side jobs. He searched and found that it was the GM 3L60 that was fitted in her car. made in
France!!! A used one found and fitted. Alas, not that much later, it blew a head gasket… bye., bye Catera…
Hello, Nissan…

Carl

a GM 4L60? what’s a new one on me. I’ve seen the conversion on the 5.3 & the 4.0 XJ-S’s but I never knew it was a build option or an option for the XK6. Just when I thought I didn’t know it all. :crazy_face:
Any idea what years? was it an option for the XJ saloons as well as the XJ-S?

Reporting from 63… the process never ends.

:smirk:

The 4L60 was never used by Jaguar

Cheers
DD

I didn’t think so… I couldn’t find it in any of my documentation. I have seen XJ-S conversions though.

I had a Catera many years ago Carl. It was a very nice car to drive with air ride suspension in the rear, front and rear heated seats (important in Alberta) and just a general nice tight feel. Unfortunately they were also prone to timing tensioner failures and head gasket failures and body rust which ultimately led to its demise. It also went through coil springs regularly till I replaced them with the heavier springs from a pontiac G8 which was built on the same platform as was one of the performance Holdens. Not unusual for the Cateras to be lumped with a small block as they fit in very easily and lots of the Catera engines self destructed due to the timing tensioner problem. It was not considered a success for Cadillac but the european opels and vauxhalls were well thought of. The first generation Cadillac CTS used the 3.2 litre version of the Catera engine but they quickly switched to the 3.8 Cadillac engine which was considerably more reliable.

The Catera was an Opel Omega B with an americanized rear end - a Vauxhall Carlton for our British listers, but built in Rüsselsheim. My parents at the time had switched from a BMW 520i to an Omega A 2.0i: a lot more space, but at the loss of the turbine-like inline six and with a some times discomforting self-steering rear axle. While the 2 litre was very mature the 3 litre MV6 engine was top of the line, fairly brand new and acquired a poor reputation for the numerous issues and thirst. In the 1960 Opel used the slogan “Opel - the reliable”, but there was not much left of that in the MV6.

Shortly before taking the cars from the market, Opel tested GM 5.7 liter engines in them, but apparently the plug was pulled after a few prototypes had been built.

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I worked at a Cad dealer when the Catera was introduced. Lots of hoopla. “The Cadillac That Zigs”

I thought they were a very nice car to drive. Not exciting, not fun, but competent and pleasant. And pleasant to look at as well. I liked 'em.

The first few we sold we plagued with problems and Cadillac repurchased them. They never really sold very well, at least not in my neck o’the woods. Younger folks wanted Bimmers and Audis. Older customers wanted a more traditional Cadillac.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

My parents bought a Catera back in the day. It came with a small metal duck, which was not unlike a Monopoly piece. The Catera is long gone but that stupid duck is still sitting on thier living room TV.

1 Like

If memory serves, the Catera was an Opel in a fancy frock. My Uncle had one; it was a pleasant car to drive.

I read that the Jag limo or such used one on the 4.2, I checked with Johns and he wants $450 for the adapter plate–NUTS to me! Today I’ll be checking to see if the flex plate will adapt and what’s needed to fab an adapter, I have the 700 and a 4.2, removing the Pi for a brace of H-8’S.
$450 will probably pay a machine shop to fab the plate!

Michael,

I’ve got twin SU HS8 on my engine - they run well but are clearly outperformed by the PI. So why would you retrograde? Is your PI off duty?

If you can find/fabricate an adapter plate, it would be great if you could document that. Most of us are running on BW65 or 66 which were o.k. in 1973, but are a black hole for engine power and make a race engine as dynamic as an elevator’s drive.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

It was: kinda boring. Seemed OK, but no long-term experience with one.

Hi Jochen Perhaps I used the wrong term: Brace–what’s correct for three H-8’s like on the E and Mk-X saloon? Jon’s cars will install or sell you a set up for the 4L60 (non electric) to fit our engines --at a steep price. I’ve heard of a shop near by that may make the adapter. looking at the bellhousings it looks like a 3/16 plate would mate them.
My rebellion against the PI is it’s complexity, Yes it probably can do a better job BUT if it dies out in the woods, I’m stuck, with SU’S ESPECIALLY there’s little to fail and I can adjust them rather than the factories idea that has been ruined by my modifications This is for my keeper personnel driver–maybe I’ll arrange to be buried in it someday B<)