Whats this for?

You are looking at the right hand inside of the boot area of a 1940 SS saloon.
My question is what is the bracket for, with the two captive nuts fitted, that are on both sides of the boot area.
They are also on Mark IV’s but seem to serve no purpose as they are covered up by the covering side panels?
Regards Jordy.

Does that not just support the section of boot floor that is over the rear axle?

Peter

Possibly still on MK IVs as a leftover from previously on SS Like the appendix is supposed to be in humans.
THis happened a bit , left over MK IV dash boards ended up being used in XK 120s.
They may also have been for mounting a jig o ensure the two inner guards were a set distance apart

Yeah, it looks to me like a boot floor support.
Speaking of using up leftover parts, I’ve been meaning to show this to you Mark IV experts. This is the Mark V inner rear wing.
It looks to me like they used a Mark IV panel and chopped it a bit, where they made a cut and added an extension piece to bring the sweeping tail out farther. I’ve made a white line at the joint. The extension panel is to the upper right of the line. Is that how you read it?
PICT0019

Nope. The side covering panel does that.

I think, as Ed suggests, it must be used somehow during assembly.

I would think if it were a part utilised on prewar SS but now redundant Mr Lyons would have deleted it to save time and money.

One of those great worldly mysteries.

Regards, Jordy

The SS doesn’t have a flat boot floor and equivalent piece follows the curve of the part that covers the axle.

Peter

Hi Peter.

What year SS is that.

I have looked at 3 x Mk IV’s and the 40 SS and no two are completely the same in the boot area.

Regards Jordy.

Sorry, I can’t remember but that is the same form that my January 1939 car has.
Here’s another car first registered in March 1938. The photo also shows the cover for the axle.

The 1940 cars brought in many of the changes that appeared in the MkIV but they are not identical to the MkIVs…

Peter

'36 (and presumably '37) coach-built cars had similar arrangement in timber, I think, with panels that could be removed to access the rear dampers - at least, what I built for mine looks remarkably similar!
cheers
Chris

The MK IV wheel arch certainly has an extra part welded in along there to bring it ut to the edge. I had though it may have been just a way to simplify manufacture. I recall a UK mag when the steel bodied cars were released. The company that pressed the wheel arch had there own ad with a picture. The usual congratulations ad me too ads run by various suppliers.
The Mk V panel is certainly different along the lower edge. I’d have to have a Mk IV in front of me , less guard, to check the differences… and whether one could be adapted to a Mk IV .

1947 3 1/2 saloon.
This photo is a bit hard to interpret but is looking, from the outside, through the gap formed between the boot lid and the spare wheel door when boot is partly open.
What you can see is a piece of vinyl or similar material. It is held in place by a metal strip running across the inside sloping fixed panel that forms the very rear of the boot floor (below the door) and fixes, with screws, onto the top inside of the spare wheel door.
This stops items stored in the boot falling through the otherwise gap between the boot and the spare wheel when the boots closed.
However. For some reason some cars seem to have this others do not as I also have a very original 1947 1 1/2 saloon. Never been panel beated or repainted. There is no evidence of this strip of material. No screw holes. Nothing.
Result. Anything small in the boot either falls down into the spare wheel tray or jams so you cant get the boot lid open. Strange how there are a variety of finishes in the boot.
Others are recesses for the boot stays when it’s opening. Another is a closing panel in the boot under the body panel below the rear windscreen.
Also appears on some cars. Not others.
Keeps one guessing I guess??
Regards, Jordy