Wheel and tyre sizes

What’s the widest Wheel and tyre size I can fit to my 1969 Series II Roadster, without removing the bump stops?

My wheels are 6 inch wide by 15 inch
Tires are 205 70
Bump stops are on
But I here that’s not always the case
Do you need the bump stops

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your input. I have also been told by MWS that I could use 6” X 15” wheels and they may or may not rub on the bump stops. To answer your question regarding the bump stops, no I don’t really require them as I have no intention of racing round going over large pot holes or traffic humps. MWS have sent me info on ”inset and offset” wheel design, but unfortunately, they have little tolerance with people that do not fully understand what they are saying, and will not repeat or explain themselves to any depth. I am only looking for wider tyres because they look more aesthetic.

Regards

Paul S

Not all 205 70 tires are the same width
My new tires are a quarter inch wider than my old tires but same tire size

Hi,

Why? You want to ruin a perfect ride?

Cheers!

My 70’ coupe has the chrome turbo disc wheels that are 6". Using 205/70 tires.
When on my 2 post lift tires will rub bump stops. A concern if you have to change a tire roadside is that you can’t lift the body. Must lift from suspension to clear bump stops.
Another concern is that in my case the sway bar will make contact with the sidewall of the tire when cornering. I installed stop collars to stop the back and forth movement of the bar.
I have seen some very wide tires on some e types and must assume bump stops and brackets are removed and sway bar modified. Visually it appears that my disc wheels place the wheels closer to outer fender panels than wire wheels?
Glenn

As you know it depends on wheel offset. Center laced 6x15 Daytons with 205/70s rear and 205/65’s front (personal preference) are depicted in this photo. The rears are very close to the fender lip. They clear the factory bump stops. 205/70s would also fit easily at the front. 6x15 bead laced wheels can result in bump stop issues depending on the tire size and the offset offered by the various manufacturers. .

For maximum flexibility, I eliminated the standard bump stops and installed custom stops on the shock absorber shafts. A 215/65 tire on a 6x15 bead laced Dunlop wheel will fit on my car (with factory bump stops removed).

Do you find that you have to deflate the tires to remove the rear wheels?

No. I jack the rear via a center block under the differential. So the suspension droops just as it would with a jack at the factory jack point. It’s close, but they do come off.

1 Like

I have 215 70 15’s on one and 205s on the others.

All Michelin XWX’s, which look nice with rounded sidewalls.

All 6.5 inch center laced wheels.

I might like skinny tires when I get a bit older, who knows?

I definitely like a nice high profile whatever. Really dont like low profile square tyres on anything built prior to 1970! Sorry Chip, Richard and Boyd!

This one below is on center laced 215s. No rear bump stops, no other mods.Gives the car “shoulders”?

In addition to bump stops, if you have wire wheels you need to assure you have enough room to pull them off the hubs without fouling on the lip of the wheel well.

I agree. And as for aesthetics…

1 Like