Wheel compartment strap

Hi All…xk150 fhc…i see there should be a strap on the lid of the spare compartment lid…my strap is missing but have the chrome end fitting…however where does the strap fit to…im assuming its to keep the lid in the up position…Viart book shows a strap…but not what it connects to…thanks…Steve

Ok do just been out for a closer look…the chrome retainer i have on the top of the lid is probably for a lid lifting tab

The pop stud on the underside of the lid is where the strap pops into…the small hole in tne red trim panel is to attach the strap i assume…is there an end finnisher of some kind or is it just screwed on?..so does the strap just hang down from the underside of the boot/trunk lid when not in use…cheers…Steve

See strap holding spare-wheel tray lid in open position in following XK150 pic…

Hi Roger…thanks for the reply…iv see your photo in drawing form in the Viart book…what it dosnt show is how the strap is fixed to the underside of the boot/trunk…all i have is one small hole as in my photo above…does the strap just have a screw through it…or some kind of end fitting…also when not in use does it just hang loose…thanks…Steve

Steve,

The XK 150 will probably be different, but the pic below shows the way it’s done in an XK 140 FHC.
So the strap is held by a screw through the "female "part of the snap button (cannot remember whether there is a wooden strengthening part behind the board for the screw but I assume so). It is snapped in position when you don’t need it to hold the boot floor, I imagine the basic solution is identical but the length of the strap is different in your case.

Bob K.

Thanks Bob…that looks good…Steve

Here is a picture of the strap on my 1959 XK150 OTS. The strap is attached to the underside of the boot lid with a round stap. The male portion of the snap is screwed onto the boot lid cover.

When the spare compartment lid is opened, you unsnap this strap from its stowed position and resnap it on the underside of the lid thus holding it open.
Pat H.

1 Like

Pat’s photo is correct for I think ALL XK150, where long strap extends 1/3rd distance down the spare wheel LID.
The XK140 has a much shorter strap as per Bob’s photo, with strap only extending a short distance down spare wheel lid as per photo below - of an XK140…

XK140

I believe the demarcation is exactly with the last XK140 versus first XK150 re strap length and thus position of male stud on spare wheel lid, but as always with all demarcations I would be happy with confirmation of any 1957 XK140s, and indeed 1957 XK150s to be conclusive…
And while we are at it, does anyone have a view/photo on when exactly the foam pad that sits under the Jacks lifting arm change from yellow foam to black foam as per my earlier XK150 photo, and now this XK140 photo…

I don’t know the exact date, but my XK 140 OTS, manufacture date November 20, 1956, had a black pad.

Thanks Bob,
Is that BLACK foam with a black skin, or Yellow foam with skin painted black along with underside of lid…

A photo would be great, especially given your very late Nov 1956 date ,

Roger

Although I save almost everything, the foam pad appears to be an exception. I can confirm that it was black foam throughout and not simply black paint over yellow. However, I removed the foam because it was brittle with age and disintegrating. If I come upon it, I will let you know, but otherwise it is a lesson learned that even the little things which are not reusable still have tales to tell.

Many thanks Bob, a useful refinement of my developing research conclusions as to date I had simplistically presumed a clean demarcation of yellow foam for all XK140 and black foam for all XK150…
Need to start checking more second-half 1956 XK140s now…

Roger

If only I could remember all that I have forgotten! I stumbled upon the black foam from my Nov. 1956 XK 140 MC jack mount. It is black all the way through with “skin” on the top and bottom and open cell foam on all four sides. I’m always glad to document what I can for Roger.

Many thanks Bob,
Just what I wanted - and I can scale thickness based on your rule 3-3/4in length.
Main issue I am trying to resolve, is when these Jack Pads changed from YELLOW to BLACK.
Up to date simple view was XK140 were all yellow, and XK150 were all black, so with your 20 Nov 1956 dom example, clearly not an exact XK140/150 demarcation, but new more likely sometime in last half of 1956.
I have a 7 Nov 1956 XK140 also with a black pad, but its a fully restored car and a new pad - so not reliable evidence , and a mid-Oct 1956 car, exc original/unrestored with a Yellow Pad - so starting to narrow things down, albeit not necessarily a HARD demarcation, maybe a short period of overlap more associated with body number order, rather than Chassis Number/dom order…

Roger

Roger, the dimensions are 3 3/4 inches by 2 7/8 by 7/8. The original thickness might have been an inch as it was squished over time.