Wheel / tire info

David,

looks good - it just seems to be a tremendous effort both in terms of money and time. Unless your suspension is really shot and you need all that stuff anyhow I’d probably refrain.

That being said I’d guess that you get 80% of the seat of your pants success for 20% of the efforts if you just swap out old and worn bushings for the new superflex pu wishbone and steering rack bushings - I think that is what - was it you, Mark? - advised recently. I did the same thing last year to my Spitfire and am really happy with it. For the Spitfire, yet only lower wishbone bushings, but + new roll bar links and bushings + new upper ball joints it took like three hours. Well worth the while …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Yes, too big but that wheel reminds me of d-type wheels and would look great in a 15" or 16" size on an XJ. I am not fond of the stock chrome wheels and hub caps. Too flashy IMHO. I might try ditching the hubcaps on mine and wrapping the centers in aluminum colored wrap. Easily reversible if I don’t like the results.
Tony

Right Tony,

maybe there is a harmony of styles and ages and sometimes a break of this harmony may be exiting …

The SI - in my eyes - looks best with steel wheels in body colour, the bigger chrome hub caps and rimbellishers.

SII cars - children of the 70s - are somewhat caught in between. I like the chrome Turbo wheels, but also like to see them on Kents. A pepperpot, starfish or lattice wheel on SII seems odd to me.

Then again - if executed well - a SI or II rat racer on alloys in steel design just like the E type lightweights
grafik
would certainly stand out . Still I’d like to see the approximation to a driver’s car within the time line … the Broadspeed coupés and John Steed come to mind! Guess I’m just getting terribly old …

Best
Jochen

Sorry Solo,

didn’t mean to divert you … it’s just that … if you want to drive a boys racer, get one - don’t be ashamed!

While it may be a technical challenge to turn a wheel chair into a Pikes Peak winner, it may be possible - just so for a SII. It’s just not its natural habitat. Doug used to slalom race an XJ - that is tough! … To get a feel look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBhsw4wL0cg or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=937qFepkx5g. Do you really want to take part in an XJ?

And to get back to topic: my handbook tells me that the distance between the datum line and the front suspension mounting point is 7.7 cm and the rear suspension front mounting point is 11.5 cm. The datum line runs through the center of the wheels.

My own car is a bit low on the rear wheels but I can live with that. Yours is a wee bit high … maybe just put some 100 pounds of sand in the boot, if you dislike the look …

Good luck

Jochen

“Yes, too big but that wheel reminds me of d-type wheels”

That’s exactly what I was thinking - and going for. I want to keep my car stock looking so I think I may not opt to go bigger on the wheels. I am planning on lowering the car about 1-1/2 inches. My front suspension is out, blasted, powder coated and ready to reinstall. I’m starting on my rear suspension shortly while my 4.2 is in for a rebuild.
Stock wheels/tires and lowered slightly I think will do the trick.
image|375x500