Wheels and tyres

So I was looking for some new tyres 205/70 Vr15 and was pretty shocked by the prices.

£250 a corner plus fitting etc.

Found these re-furbished 16" wheels from an XJ40 to which I am in the process of attaching my original hub caps.

I can fit 225/60 VR16’ to these which opens up a much wider choice of tyre.

Just wondered if anyone had any comments on this regarding tyre choice, any problems with the 7" width and lastly what you think it might look like?

wheel

Dave

Hi Dave, In Australia the tyres that fit some “soft roaders” are correct size - mine are Pirelli Scorpions 205/70 sr15. $140.00 a corner. We don’t need VR rating. Paul

It will be interesting to hear how your car handles with the 16" tires.
As you may already know, the XJ suspension was originally designed for use ONLY with Dunlop 205/70 VR15 SP Sports tubeless radials.
Of course this was at a time when wide 16" radials did not exist.
Inspect the inner clearance carefully up and down at full lock.
You wouldn’t want to make the mistake of the Nash Metropolitan which could cut its own tires off.

I think sevens will be OK - if offset suits. I know eights don’t work - they hit the lower tie rod end. I was given a set of XK8 wheels but no dice. Paul

Hi,

There is some debate as to whether fitting lower rated tyres in the UK might invalidate your insurance. I’m not 100% sure on this and I suppose I should really discuss this with my insurance company.

The Pirelli Scorpions are available here but I have the dilemma of the 15" wheels that are red rusty and need a re-furb and the 16" wheels that are pristine.

I did try the car on some 16" alloy wheels but only for a very short trip. Seemed OK but not long enough to be absolutely certain.

I wasn’t too keen on the alloys as they looked far too modern, but that’s just my opinion.

Dave

You may not like the ride, Dave - I don’t like the looks…:slight_smile:

Only one way to find out if they suit and fit- an expensive exercise if they don’t…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Somehow the tires available in original Jaguar fitment are either ditchfinders, knobbly SUV tires, or very expensive reproductions of a 50-year-old profile. I recently fitted Toyo Proxes CF2 in 205/70/15 to my Series 1 at about 65 euros a corner. They’re H rated, so safe up to 210Km/h which comfortably exceeds the top speed of my car. The tires look fine, grip well, and lower road noise quite nicely. I rate them highly.

I have been fitting 205/65/15 for years to my vehicles, the difference in circumferance is 3.2%

They were standard size for Oz top selling large cars (last century) , but 15" is now not common

as I had a few cars, doing not many kms, I had a deal with my tyre man who would save me 4 good used ones, fit all 4 for $150 inclusive, and I would change them every 5 years…altho the V12 manual used to eat the rears a bit quicker :grinning:

Wonder if larger wheels and tyres will effect the speedometer?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The first thing I need to do is find out if my insurance company would insist on V rated tyres but I somehow have a suspicion that they will.

I found the Toyo Proxes are available at e reasonable price in the UK and I also found 215/65’s with quite a decent choice too.

My feelings on the price of the correct 205/70’s is that the tyre companies are saying that it’s a limited market so that is why the price is so high. Up to £350 each for some of them plus fitting etc. Well surely if the price was lower then there would be a larger market for them because anytime the subject of tyres comes up then all I can find is people looking to find more reasonable alternatives.

As regards larger wheels and tyres affecting the speedometer I spent a while looking into the different sizes and the 225/60 16’s and the difference is 1.25% in circumference so I would think close enough in practical terms.

Dave

The really important safety parameters for tyres is speed and load rating, Dave…

…the latter admittedly relates to tyre size; 12" wheels can’t carry the Jaguar - and 18" is unlikely to fit. And we are sort of tied to the Jaguar stud pattern and offset for the rims. But within that - your choice…

Then there is ride comfort; the skinnier the tyres the harder they ride - and higher speed rating does the same. And then there is road holding, which relates to the compound use - which also relates to tyre wear. And tyre noise relates much on tyre pattern - but neither of the above is revealed by sight, commercials and testimonies.

The only proof that the tyres satisfies you is to drive on them. And by that time you likely find that it is easier to learn to like them than to change them - which in itself does no guarantee that the next lot is any better…:slight_smile:

Frank

I think it was more the other way 'round. The Dunlop SPs were designed for the Jaguar.

Cheers
DD

Hi David,
Would love to see pictures if you finally get to fitting them in your car.
Best,
Aristides

I spoke to my insurance company and they said I should be using V rated tyres.

After a lot of thinking I decided to try the 16" wheels and tyres and am going to try Michelins.

I’m afraid that £1200 to £1500 for the correct tyres is just too rich for me.

At the moment the car is on 205/70 vr and and due to the age they have started cracking between the treads although there is plenty of tread left. I don’t want to be replacing tyres in the future for that reason at those sort of prices.

Although I have some doubt about the appearance they are not terribly different to the originals.

I will put some pictures up when I have them fitted to see what you all think about how they look.

As for driving on them it could be a few months before I get to that to reach any conclusions. This could be an expensive mistake so I’m going to take the chance and keep my fingers crossed.

Dave

Dave,

where I live the rules are similar in that, once the vehicle’s operation permission is based on a certain tire rating you have to uses this rating to maintain street legality.

There is one loop hole, however: With winter tires it is permitted to use tires of a lesser speed rating. Modern winter tires have developed a lot in terms of comfort and dry performance. My mileage is so low that even increased wear during summer time operation doesn’t matter as opposed to hardening out of aging tires. So maybe you can find a more economical winter tire and go with it.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto

On the bottom of the planet our regulators are a bit more pragmatic - we can’t legally drive in all states and territories - even the lowest available speed rating (Northern Territory, possible exception) and hence we can run any rating at proper size and condition Paul

Indeed, Paul most countries’ regulations are not very specific or restrictive…

However, insurance companies are different kettles of fish - and as he has specifically asked his insurer; non-compliance gives them an out in claims disputes. And insurers tend to grab at even lesser straws…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Soc Europe (UK/NZ)

Frank beat me to it.

I don’t believe there is any legal requirement to use V rated tyres, but obviously tyres need to be in proper size and condition.

It’s the insurance companies that are stating they want V rated tyres.

I have a friend in the motor trade who told me that anytime there was a car in for crash repairs the very first thing the assessor would look at the tyres…

I looked at the winter tyres and could only find two very cheap unknown budget brands that were suitable for cars. All the rest were either suitable for vans, trucks or SUV’s.

On the subject of legislation, one good thing in the UK is that when a car is over 40 years old there is no road fund licence, registration fee etc. to pay. No restrictions on use either.

Dave

An eventual speed rating requirement refers to the car’s ability to reach that speed, Dave - as per manufacturers’ specifications (‘always’ a bit optimistic)…

It’s a legal quagmire. If a car is road legal according to road code and inspections, can the insurance company refuse insurance on vehicle non-compliance grounds? And if insurance is compulsory for road use, which is the case in some countries; will the car be ‘non-compliant’ for road use if insurance is rejected - and who is the arbiter? And given that speed limits generally are far lower than most cars’ capabilities, - it is all sort of ridiculous…:slight_smile:

Here in NZ a crash is investigated as a crime scene, incidentally closing the road for hours. Tyres’ condition is certainly part of it; load rating is likely checked - but whether speed rating is included; I don’t know. Certainly, if the crash involves driving on a spacesaver; it will be pursued as a crash cause. But generally; the do concentrate on finding the true cause of the crash…

But one thing is universal; giving misleading information, or withholding relevant information, to an insurance company is a very serious matter. To say nothing about wilfully breaching known insurance conditions…I better re-read the fine print in my policy…:slight_smile:

Frank

Paul,

I know, I’ve seen “Mad Max” …

:slight_smile:

As Frank says: If you depend on insurance, you don’t want them to have a reason for refusal to pay, and tires that do not make part of the general permission and thus render the operation of the car unlawful are one of these reasons.

Of course, you may show that the damage had nothing to do with the speed rating, but still, it will take additional communication, time and will provide them with bargaining chips.

Hence the winter tires …

Good luck
Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)