When All Else Fails, Follow the Instructions

Jochen:

I noted that you forwarded instructions to Philip on repairing his coupe windows.

On an unrelated matter, you previously send instructions to me on jacking the car. It looks like both documents came from the same repair manual or at least the same publisher. I am always interested in repair manuals. Could you share the name of the company that produced the manuals? Maybe they are still in print.

Thanks
Lou

Lou,

it is the original “Jaguar XJ6 Daimler Sovereign Repair Operation Manual” by British Leyland (UK) Ltd., Publication Part No. E188/4 from 1978.

It used to be distributed by JDHT on a CD-ROM for a modest fee. There should still be copies around https://www.amazon.de/Jaguar-XJ6-Daimler-Sovereign-Operation/dp/1855200309.

Together with a Parts Catalogue it’ll make a great starting point before getting your hands dirty …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto

Thanks Jochen. I have the parts catalog and the shop manual, the one with the dark red cover, and apparently a Jaguar publication, 1972. Although that manual is complete, it’s hard to follow sometimes and overly complex, especially for the non professional. .

From the pages you sent, that manual seems more down to earth. There’s a heavily used copy for sale on eBay for $20.

Regards

Lou

Lou,

around the mid-1970s the pattern of the Repair Operation Manuals changed installing an identical BL pattern. Thus, the SI ROM from 1972 I’ve got a copy of (sorry, can’t tell the original color) is fairly intuitive while the SII ROM (where the pages come from I posted) has that “telephone book” structure, where main groups are sub divided and individual tasks broken down to a limited number of steps. The flip side of the coin is that sometimes it is hard to find the chapter you need and, also, many times you’re redirected to other steps (e.g. “remove the underscuttle casing as described in 77.07.11”).

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Spend the 20. Great to have all one can get. My collection of unorganized Jag lore is impressive,
to me at least…

Carl: Thanks for the encouragement. Found one in good condition in England through AbeBooks for $19 including shipping.

Lou