When is it okay to put XKE on body cart

Mine failed that test. They looked great but sounded like they were full of sand when upended. Uryk to the rescue!

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

1 Like

Craig, Thankfully, it was only one Christmas (:smile:

Here is what I do for a tight space.

I have my body on a cart with the rotisserie brackets attached.

When I need to go on the rotisserie my body cart is designed to allow for that easily.

When I need to transport it the body cart will load onto a U haul ramp trailer with the rotisserie on the front of the trailer.

I have a winch that I attach to the front of the trailer to pull the cart on and help control the ascent down the ramp when unloading.

Okay, put it on jack stands and removed the IRS. Next is the front wheels and front suspension. Then, build a cart. Probably wood and continue looking for a body/paint shop.

Wheel dollies worked great. Allowed removal from under car very easily while jack stands were on lowest setting. Removed grease fittings from bottom of each side before placing on 2x4 on dollies.

Great info on this post, thanks! Regarding the frame rails, I was lucky enough to purchase a NOS set including the ‘picture frame’ from a lady in NM. My '61 Roadster’s rails were toast, having been stored in a barn for years. Just a note on preserving these parts, check out Monocoque Metalworks as Chuck has videos on getting a good primer and paint inside the square tubing. He’s been in the E Type restoration since he was a very young man, and he also sells body parts.

1 Like

I was surprised to learn the lower wishbone and the torsion bar could be removed as one unit. No need to drive the torsion bar out. Will use the shop press to gently separate the bar from the other pieces. Okay, right side front suspension removed. On to left front suspension.

Kevin

Kevin, through the magic of age and corrosion, they become one unit whether we want them to or not :slight_smile: So it is indeed a good thing that you can take them out as one unit!

3 Likes