Ah, the things that we find when we start digging. Last night, I was stripping the tar like sound deadener in the floorboards of my 71 S3. On the drivers side, I used a heat gun. On the passengers side, I used a wood chisel and flaked it right out.
As a side note, once, the P.O. took the car to get tires and when they put the car on a lift, they didn’t put the pads under the support posts which pushed up the floor. It took some work to get them flattened to a normal position.
When I got to the front of the passenger foot well, I exposed a bubble gum pink surface. I thought to myself, “No good can come from this.” Anyway, it was bondo with glass mesh and had old paint on it and I am sure that it was not from the P.O. Other than that spot and the front of the driver side footwell, the floorboards are in great shape but repairs will have to be made.
So, to get a better look at what lies ahead, I pulled the right bulkhead toe panel which is in good shape to get a better look. The panel right next to the toe panel was also fixed with bondo and glass mesh. This was all under the heat shield which makes me wonder when the “repairs” were made in the cars life.
The spot welds on the toe panel were factory welds but the edge of the panel to the firewall had been welded very very poorly and then bondo was applied. Quite a cludgy job IMHO.
One thing that I found on the floorboards were very tiny pins that were part of the floorboards. These are not the snaps for the carpet and they seemed to be right in the middle of holes in the original sound deadener. I suspect that they were for alignment purposes when in stalling the deadener.