Where can I find a new headliner for my XJS

I bought a 1985 XJS recently and when the headliner fabric started sagging i tried to repair it with some adhesive but it was kinda gross and the board kinda disintegrated and I am trying to figure out where I can find a new headliner to replace it first post any help is appreciated

Use the search function. You will find many, many threads on headliner replacement.

I took my car to a local upholstery shop. They removed the headliner form, cleaned it up after removing the old disintegrating fabric and foam, and replaced the foam backed fabric and reinstalled “refreshed” headliner.
$200 .
Or you can do it yourself. As Alex says, numerous threads in the archive

That’s good if your shell doesn’t fall to pieces…a whole new one is available… I have not replaced mine in two years… have been trying to come up with an alternative idea… I would like to hear from anyone who has done something different

If you want to fix your headliner - go for ultimate solution, don’t listen to comments above. No more fear leaving your XJS in the full sun, no more getting flu in the winter due to concerns of using your heater blower. Close this subject once and permanently:
https://www.xjsbanger.co.uk/jaguar-xjs-sagging-headliner-ultimate-fix

1 Like

You went to a lot of unnecessary work: a friend of mine fixed his with a stapler.

5 minutes… boom done

:wink:

2 Likes

I bought one from the UK brand new, correct color fabric on fiberglass (beige or grey). Fit perfectly, makes interior look brand new. They even give you extra fabric to do trim pieces yourself. Also, was not a fortune to ship to US.

Smelled a bit first summer when parked in sun, but not anymore.

I’ll add details here later if you’re interested.

Hello Greg - yes, if you find time to post information of your headliner replacement, I am sure it will help others not just me - I have to do this job soon also on both my cars - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 12/05/2020 1447hrs. EST USA.

I bought some headliner fabric and did it my self.
Very delicate and time consuming job.
It turned out very nice though, 9.8 in a scale of 10.

1 Like

I purchased my headliner already glued to fiberglass from: jagxjinteriors.com

Price was ÂŁ150.00 (about $200). It included fabric to do side pieces myself. They have other options.

International shipping to me in Washington state was $110. If you live in the UK, bonus! You could probably pick it up (They are located in Kent).

*** OH! Just remembered, their website lists £300 shipping to US!!! But if you order on Ebay, shipping is only about £100. They are listed as cc-headlining on Ebay. I assume they are the same company, but maybe not? They are both in Kent. For all I know, it’s some guy doing them on the side. But the quality was great.

I think $300 total for a brand new headliner using fiberglass is worth it. Only took me about 1 hour to install by myself. (Old one was already removed) You’d probably pay not much less to have someone redo your old one, but it would still be on inferior board instead of fiberglass.

Also, they have choice of beige or grey! My original interior was grey interior with beige headliner and beige visors. I decided to convert to grey headliner and black visors, and put black vinyl on the pillars. Interior looks awesome! Grey/Black combo. Only warm color is the wood trim, which pops more.

2 Likes

If you measure the pinning points into a diamond pattern you can get the full on, tart’s boudoir effect. I saw this once in a short local news piece where a classic car enthusiast was driving such a plush ceilinged XJS. Unfortunately the journalist in the passenger seat was quite tall and the top of his head disappeared into the dangling fabric. It’s not a good look. I suffered with it myself for a couple of weeks before fixing it.

1 Like

Hi , Don’t know where about you are ,but their are a number of suppliers here in the UK.
I purchased mine from Myrtle products , the liner was of a fibreglass type the main issue with it was the shape especially at the back near the rear window.
The curve of the new fibreglass liner cannot be pushed tight to the inside roof and as a result can be seen from outside the car.
I managed to fix a couple of small brackets to the inside of the rear pillars to push it up , but it still has a 15mm gap along the rear edge.

If I remember, the top rear windshield rubber lining lip is supposed to be pulled over the headliner along the top. I just ran a screwdriver along the lip. I did this for my fiberglass headliner no problem. I’m pretty sure my fiberglass was molded to fit correctly.

I tried that as well , but I could hear the fibreglass cracking and don’t want to push my luck.
Once it was fixed at the front via the sun visor holes , their was no room for any other movement and no extra material on the back to tuck in the window rubber.
This must have been due to the pattern originally used by the supplier (MYRTLE UK)
not known for having any customer service , I got nowhere by asking .

I have 1984 XJ-S with a good headliner that I am breaking. Let me know if you are interested. I am just south of Pittsburgh, PA, USA. It is in the car and was redone about 10 years ago. I can provide photos of it in the car if you are interested.

Very interesting. Just the other day I removed a headliner that was in perfect condition from my Lister car. There were problems that occurred with cracking during the removal process. It seems that you could barely touch it before it started to crack and crumble in some places, Argh! What a shame as there was no sagging anywhere. Was the fiberglass backing sturdy yet pliable to work with?

Yes, it was sturdy and a bit pliable. Everything lined up, so it was quite easy to fit. Sun visors were tricky, hole may have been off 1mm, but once threads found holes, no problem.

Because it was sturdy fiberglass, packaging wasn’t too crazy.

1 Like

Contact me off list at sjniznik@msn.com

How much do you want… altogether with shipping and how safe is it to ship without damage…pm me