Where is the ECU?

On a 1982 J6? Need it for my hot rod engine!

Paul,
The EFI ECU in a Series III XJ6 is located in the trunk. You access it by removing the carpet covered trim at the right front of the trunk that is behind the right rear seat. Once you have that trim panel off you can’t miss it.

Paul

I assume if i need the harness, the seats have to come out?

Paul,
Yes, you will have to do a fair amount of disassembly if you want the EFI harness. It runs from the trunk into the cabin along the side of the propeller tunnel and up through the dash area. Then of course there are all of the EFI harnesses in the engine bay. Quite a job to get all that removed.

I have completely parted out two Series III XJ6s and I am working on my third.

If you are interested in some of those parts send ne a PM off list.

Paul

1 Like

It does run along the propshaft under the carpet. I think the front seats can stay in; the rest not so much. EFI harnesses in the bay are easy I think - the two injector plugs with sensors and the AFM wiring should both come out nicely? Maybe you can cut and splice. Ignore the wiring for the trip computer and its black box in the trunk which should have one wire for fuel metering.

Appreciate the tips! This car has nice seats: he wants $80 for them, if anyone’s interested.

Here’s what the F.I. harness looks like when it’s (almost) entirely removed from the car. The rear seats needs to come out for sure.

I already had the front seat out (RH) when I removed the harnessso I can’t say for sure if it’s possible to remove it with the seat in place. But, the harness is anchored in several locations along the trans tunnel so I’m 98% sure you’d need to remove the seat to access the anchors

engine%20harness

Cheers
DD

PS-I think the pic actually shows the V12 harness going in rather the the 6 cylinder harness coming out. Either way, you get the idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!! As I get this engine runnable, I am SURE Ill have lotsa questions.

As an aside, Paul…

The ECU was put in the boot to avoid heat and engine interference. Depending on your planned configuration, you may not need the entire length of the original loom.

You may study the original wiring layout in the engine compartment compartment to possibly disconnect the loom, or part of it, there - which may simplify dismantling and reinstallation…?

Adding that a careful study of the wiring diagram may reveal other possibilities - though the wiring diagrams do not much clarify physical facts…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Message deleted. Found my answer!