Where is the Starter Solenoid on a 73 XJ6?

That’s it, Bob - large as life. Now, is this the ‘what’ and '‘where’ on Lou’s car…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

List:

I had a few minutes tonight, took Rob’s photos and dug under the carburetors. It’s OK once you are in there but it’s tough to get in.

I found the end of the solenoid and connections A & B in Rob’s photo.

The upper connection, the A wire, was a black wire with an angle rubber cover at the connection. It looked like the other end of the wire that bolted to the fire wall. Rob said it was the “big cable to battery positive.” The other, the “B” connection was uncovered.

So the plan is to clean those connctors with a small wire brush and hope for the best.

Regards
Lou

My mistake, that black wire does indeed go to a terminal post on the fire wall, but also on that same post should be another big (possibly) red wire thus continuing the direct connection to the battery positive.
The wire on A is hot, so disconnect battery negative before using the wire brush on those terminals, otherwise you might get some sparks.

You do not mention the ‘C’ connection, Lou…

…the wire going to the starter relay to trigger the starter solenoid to crank the engine - it ‘should’ be white/;red. But whatever the colour at the solenoid should be found on the relay. To be used for testing the solenoid/starter function - essential to assess whether further work on the solenoid/starter is actually relevant…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Euurope (UK/NZ)

Frank

Thanks for the reminder. I only mentioned the wiring I could see. I was working from above and visibility was not good.

I hope to work from below and will make certain to look for that wire

Lou

Hi Lou

making a direct-wired switch in the engine bay to turn the motor is the best and safest method to test starter function, and many other tasks

the easiest is to cut a 2m length of wire, identify & disconnect the solenoid wire from relay, connect your wire to the solenoid wire.

now get the bare end and touch it right on + battery

That’s the spirit, Lou…

My concern is simply to identify the relay-to-solenoid wire - to run the tests from the easily accessible relay end. The tests may of course indicate that the fault is with the solenoid itself - or the starter…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I finally got the 73 XJ6 into the repair shop (good mechanics have a waiting list). He changed the starter and started right up. So after all it was the starter.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards
Lou