Where to drive in central Florida

I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel for having a driving vehicle. I’m starting to fantasize about actually driving somewhere. I live in central Florida near Crystal River/Nature Coast. Are there any interesting road trips in my area?

Thanks
Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

1 Like

@Pascal_G – are your ears burning?
Where is @Ginger ? Haven’t seen her on here is ages

1 Like

Hey Craig. We exchanged a couple of emails last year before the JCNA event in Ft Myers but she didn’t go.

Rick, we went up there a few months ago with the E-type there were some ok roads around ocala national forest but nothing to write home about …. And hot as hell! Worst than Miami…

The closest roads worthy of an e-type start north of Atlanta.

Take a drive to the World Equestrian Center in Ocala. Congrats on your progress…

Drive down to the Kennedy Space Center if that interests you. I’d head for the nearest beach.

Highway 581 in Pasco county near Brooksville used to be a favorite rare little scenic run in the area I used to hit on two wheels. But I haven’t lived down there in a very long time, could be all built up now for all I know

1 Like

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I understand you can drive the levees and find/capture Burmese Pythons (an invasive species) for fun and profit.

And a tasty dinner too! :wink:

I prefer winding country roads to highways. I’ve done some camping in the Ocala National Forest near Juniper Springs. The area is quite remote and scenic. Just pray you don’t break down!

WEC is a nice trip if you want to feel very poor, no matter how well off you are!

I’ve not been on 581 but it looks promising.

Jaguar vs. Python, I’d like to see that. I hear they taste like a cross between gator and Lionfish.

Thanks everyone. Keep’em coming. I have time!
Rick

I was recently with my sister in her car from Dallas to West Palm Beach and we made a detour to spend a few hours at Alexander Springs. Wonderful 72F crystal clear water and very refreshing. Make sure to take a swimming pool noodle or something to float on. Some nice roads around with sweeping turns. On those roads close by I was wishing I was in my E.

David
68 E-type FHC

The World Equestrian Center is just amazing. We had dinner there, great food and drinks and really good service like you don’t see very often. Not cheap but not too expensive either.

For a little “old” Florida atmosphere, there is the Cherry Pocket Fish Camp. Makes for a nice day trip in central Florida. Southeast of Lakeland.

https://www.cherrypocket.com/

Have you driven the West Ozello Trail right near you?I haven’t seen it. but i hear it has some nice curvy bits.It’s not very far,and you would have to go when the road is empty.

Yes, I have driven it to go kayaking. Indeed quite curvy. I think my speedometer cable broke that day:-)

Thanks
Rick

I haven’t been to Alex. The roads look good.

Thanks
Rick

About 2 hours away by turnpike. Sticking to the back roads could be fun.

Thanks
Rick

Yep! Have to agree with Pascal after living years in FL (Safety Harbor) and now in the Smokey Mtns…“E” roads begin north of Atlanta. And that includes Road Atlanta of course.

I live not far from Rick, there are so many beautiful country roads in central Florida-especially when you avoid the mid day heat. And it’s very very country :smile_cat: Country Woman & her Jaguar XJS - YouTube

Hi,

Are there any rapids? Asking for my kayaking wife, not me. :grinning:

She’ll be there in November, again not me.

Cheers!