Where to mount bullet mirrors?

I’m ready to mount my left and right bullet mirrors on the bonnet on my S2 2+2 restoration project. I am 5’ 8" tall, I could use some guidance on just where to mount them as I only have one chance at this!

Thanks, Pat

Try mounting them on a strong magnet and then trial place them using suitable material to prevent scratching.

2 Likes

Depends: if Tex “Talbot” style (4"), you can’t mount them too far forward --depth of field issue.

I MUCH prefer the larger flag mirrors, out on the wings, so you don’t have to turn your head as much.

It’s a personal preference: I like the magnet idea, to play around with.

I just finished moving my bullet mirrors from the door to the cowl. On the passenger door in order to clear the chrome strip the bullet mirror had to be placed too far down on the door. I now have them on the cowl and mounted a convex mirror on top of the flat mirror that came with the bullet mirror.
Moving the mirrors even further forward may narrow the field of vision.

1 Like

Not bullets but I’m same height and this position works for me.

1 Like

Hmmm. Must be because I’m down under?

5 Likes

Now those are sticky tires. :smiley:

3 Likes

Must be a mirror image?

3 Likes

warning objects in mirror may appear upside down.

3 Likes

EEEEVERYbody’s a comedian, Stewart.

:grimacing:

1 Like

Never understood why you guys don’t fall off the earth😱

2 Likes

That’s not a Kiwi: that’s a Ki-WOW!!!

:grimacing:

I could never bring myself to drill holes in my fenders.
So I just use a clip-on mirror mounted on the A post.

1 Like

I also use TEX clip-ons, but mounted them low on the chrome window frames. The one on the right in the first photo got bumped and it’s drooping a little, but you get the idea. The mirror itself is pretty small, but adequate. I had to fabricate a clip-on adapter for this location as the ones from TEX won’t work. It’s a sin to drill holes. It’s a mortal sin to interrupt the flow of that bonnet line. Sourced from XJs.

1 Like

Can you provide details of those brackets? Pictures? Dimensions?

Bullets go on the door for the best function. If you’re going for style points, leave them off all together. Bullets will always look aftermarket on a car designed in 1961.

I installed those on one of my MGAs and regretted it.

All a personal choice, indeed: I was never a huge fan of the Talbot conical mirrors, but IIRC, they were introduced mid-to late-50s, no?

I prefer larger flat mirrors, farther away, so as not to turn my head as much. That’s why I preferred the 5" Tex mirrors, out on the wings.

I have two holes in the drivers door (bondo’d over) where once upon a time the car wore a bullet style mirror. It currently wears clipon mirrors in the window channel. Very useful in to have one each side as I frequently venture into Euroland where they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road.

It has been suggested that the Romans drove on the left as this would present their sword hand to horses and chariots in the other direction. Evidence of ancient wheel tracks tends to confirm this. It was the left handed Napoleon who dictated that horses chariots and wagons should drive on the wrong (right) side.

Thanks what I’m saying, even though I might have made some of this up.

Total rumor but I had heard that the Romans rode on the right side of the road and the Brits drove on the left to screw with them. Sounds believable as we all know the British cantankerousness (if that’s a word…). :grin:

I don’t know when they were designed, but Jag never installed them that I know of.

I had stalk mirrors on the scuttle on my '64. They caught me in the ribs on more than one occasion. The PO didn’t think that one through.