Where to mount bullet mirrors?

IIRC, the only factory-supplied mirror, up to the S1 E, was the center mirror: dealers installed the others. I’m sure some wag here has the exact model/year when the factory installed drivers side mirrors.

When I began driving (~1975), even then I thought it ridiculous to have only a driver’s side mirror, and installed AM ones to the passenger side of whatever vehicle I was piloting.

My '66 came to me with only a driver’s side (Series 3 IIRC). Terry’s has a pass (right) side to match but it doesn’t swivel enough to be useful so I mounted a fish-eye on it.

Ugly, but safety first.

First drive of the year tomorrow, our Polar Bear run. It’ll be a balmy 47 at noon. Last year it was 62 on this one. We join up with another club, we’ve got over 40 signed up.

She’s on the trickle for a few hours just to be sure.

1 Like

I was gonna take Margaret out to brekkie, but, behind her is a melted, refrozen, melted, refrozen, meltedfrozenmeltedfrozen drift, about a foot thick, on which I can perch my 20 stone butt on, without a dent.

To keep it on-topic, where I mounted my mirrors.

Maybe in late February…

Here are a couple of photos. The clips that come with the mirror are too narrow to fit over the window frame, and they’re designed to attach with the “U” facing forward. I wanted the U facing aft for safety reasons (imagine one of those things bouncing down the side of the car).

So I cut out the bottom of the original “U”, and welded it all back together with a wider bottom section. Remember to leave space for rubber or other grippy shims. Then flip it around so the open end of the U faces rearward. It will make sense when you have it apart and reference the photos. I need to repaint them with some metallic silver, although the clips virtually disappear when the door is closed. (Yes, I know the rubber seal is not installed in the window frame in these photos…still isn’t).

Hi Eric,
Thanks for posting the detailed pictures of how you modified the clips for the mirrors. I’d like to attempt that setup for my 65 OTS.
You mentioned that you sourced the mirrors at XJs… I can’t seem to find the mirrors or the TEX clips anywhere. Can you be more specific as to where I can purchase the mirrors ?
Much appreciated.

Jack,

My apologies…in my earlier post I said XJs…it’s XKs/Moss. This link should get you there. The mirror and included bracket are by TEX. You can just make out the little attach bracket in the photo.

https://xks.com/i-6916737-jaguar-teardrop-oval-mirror-37-0928.html?

like mine on the door.