Which Electric cooling fan for series 1 e type 4.2

I’m another person who loves the CoolCat. My radiator came with a Spal fan and it sounded like a jet engine and blew fuses like crazy. The CoolCat cooled just as well and I hardly notice it. No fuse blowing either.

–Drew

1 Like

I had to laugh when I got my Cool Cat, order from the USA, shipped up to Canada ( duty ,dollar difference,brokerage fee ) Open the package, look at the motor " Made In Canada " Hahaha

2 Likes

another +1 for CoolCat - simple bolt on and then no issues in long lines for M25 Thames crossings or tunnel line on way to Classic Le Mans

I know this is an old thread. I’m annoyed at the clamping fashion the motor is attached. The clamp interferes with the steering rack and I feel is nowhere tight enough.

Does anyone have a picture of a series one cool cat fan installed?

I feel like I should redesign the mounting bracket to bolt to the motor instead of a silly hose clamp.

If you like I have a cradle mount that is almost ready for prime time. You can try one and tell me what you think.

The “silly hose clamp” worked perfectly in my '63, with no inteference.

I’m glad it worked for you. I think I need to take the fan out for the third time and take the square bends out where it goes around the mount as it came with so I can rotate the clamp to put the nut on the side pointing up rather than the bottom against my once nicely painted steering rack.

Is this a CoolCat fan?

If you’d like to try the cradle mount, just let me know.

The 4.2 I’m working on had a cool cat, which fair enough, good product. But when new engine frames were ordered and painted (prior to my involvement) they ordered a series 2 picture frame, without the engine bracket. So our solution was to purchase the self-contained fan from Fosseway Performance in the UK. It comes as a replacement shroud with the fan mounted inside. Pretty slick and installed without any issues by completely replacing the original shroud, so just the four bolts in the corners. I’ve test run it and it’s pretty quiet and doesn’t pull many amps. Don’t have the car running yet, so cannot attest to its performance, but it doesn’t have to be spectacular to beat the original.

That said, the two E-Types I’ve actually owned both ran their original fans and I never had an issue with overheating (in the mild climate of the PNW, mind).

Yes this is the Cool Cat fan.

Could you post a few photos?

Solution… rotated the clamp after reforming the part around the base. I’ll cut the excess threads off this evening. I think I will add something to bond the motor in place with silicone or such after postion is checked/set.

This is the Fosseway fan/shroud assembly. The fan has a short two-wire loom ending in modern two-wire slide-connector, not ideal for plugging into a bullet-terminated loom, but not a big deal.

(Owner of this car also is using this aftermarket aluminum header tank, not my favorite look but at hand and mechanically fine so in it went.)

Would love to photos of your new mount. I have a CoolCat fan (many years now, no issues) but never liked the band clamp aesthetics (even though it’s not really visible once installed)