Which fuse diagram should I use

Trying to replace old fuses on my '76 coupe. Under the dash fuse panel has me baffled. Several of the fuse sizes shown on the inside of the fuse box door do not match with what is shown on the panel itself. Which diagram should I use?
Thanks,
Phillip

If the fuse panel shows, in writing, the fuse sizes, Phillip - that’s the sizes Jaguar intended you to use…

Workshop manuals do also show fuse sizes, but while in general correct; Jaguar was not perfect at keeping manuals updated as equipment was added or removed - or indeed, covering all variations on models and markets. If fitted fuses does not match what is prescribed; a PO may have changed some for one reason or another - like having fuses blowing, or whatever. Possibly after adding or removing something, or rearranging connections - the possibilities are endless…:slight_smile:

However, fuses are dimensioned to match the wire sizes used - the fuses are there to protect the wiring; fuses to blow before overloaded circuits burn. Too small fuses simply blow harmlessly - using a nail invites trouble…:slight_smile:

That said; two different fuse types are used generally different for the US and European market. Respectively, and crudely; ‘slow blow’ and ‘quick blow’. The latter blows instantly if current exceeds rating - the former blows if continuous current exceeds the rating. Generally; there is no harm in fitting either type, but the ‘quick blow’ rating is about twice the slow blow rating for equal protection. But care must be taken to ensure what’s what…

In your case; the PO may have used a mix - the specs on the fuse panel relates to the market; Look at ‘headlamps’; low beams may show equivalent slow/quick 10/20 and high beams 17/35…

On the other hand; PO may just be mixed up…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Frank,
Thanks for answering my question. I will use the fuse size that is indicated on the fuse panel itself and not what is shown on the panel door. I suppose the door could have been swapped out at some point as well.
Thanks again and have a wonderful memorial weekend. Time to remember, and miss once again, those you have lost.
Phillip