Which XJS HE 5.3 COUPE year is Best

Im after an XJS Coupe HE 5.3.
But which year model is best?

I have had many jags, and still do, but now MUST have an XJS for some unknown reason.:)):wink:

I have been told its best to stay away from
Marelli ignition
ABS brake system
DANA differential for lack of drain plug

and obviously im after one that has had front suspension bushes, all 12 sparkplugs, not just 10 , colant hoses, radiator hoses, radiator core etc all replaced.

But which year is best that incorporates the first list above especially.

best regards
Peter
Sydney Australia

ā€œYear modelā€ gets tricky because of different designations for different markets.

Marelli ignition came along about half way thru the USA 1989 model year, so late 1988 or early 1989 calendar year, I reckon. The VIN break was something like 156xxx

ABS brakes came along earlier, so perhaps earlier 1988 calendar year.

The Dana diffs are most common circa 1985-87 as I recall.

So, if you want to avoid all three that leaves you with 1981-84 cars or the narrow window circa 1987-1988, after the DANA diffs but before ABS and Marelli. My XJS was such a car, built Feb 1987 but designated ā€œ1988ā€ in the USA

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

Mine is a US 88 built in 87, has the Lucas distributor, no ABS, but still not sure about the differential, havenā€™t looked yet. Iā€™m not too worried, as once I get around to redoing the rear suspension, that would be a good time to replace the differential with a better ratio.

Mine is a 1988 also; built 9/87 with VIN 146343. Lucas ignition, Salisbury differential, and no ABS; but does (or used to) have the ā€œpassive restraintsā€ motorized seat belts. I have removed them as neither side worked, and fitted conventional manual 3 point restraints and trim from an earlier year.

Is the Salisbury diff the one with the drain plug?! Mine is about 141000.

Only one of my passive restraints works, but i canā€™t stand them. I will also remove them, but Iā€™m thinking of buying aftermarket retractable 3 point restraints, if the retractor will fit.

I actually used 2nd row seat belts from a 2008 Dodge Caravan, color matched and retractor fit as they were made for the XJ-S. Hardest part is finding the windshield and center post trim, and cant rail trim. If you decide to do it, I can walk you through some things that I ran into.

1 Like

And yes, Salisbury is the one with the drain plug.

1 Like

Good advice, but that might be a very restrictive filter in the small Australian market. Staying away from XJ-Ss imported from he U/K and Japan might be something you already know if you have owned Jags before.

The number of decent well cared for cars on offer is limited so you will probably have to forget about the filter.
My 1988 convertible was not especially well cared for when I bought it in 2007.
It has Lucas ignition, Salisbury diff but Teves ABS which can be problematical.
However, rebuilt the leaking front calipers, fitted new pads and very thoroughly drained then replenished the brake fluid. Always drain and replace the fluid about every 3 or 4 years and really do little mileage in the car. So far brakes always perfect.

It also had a leaking fuel tank which needed a quick fix. Convertibles are not so common hence you can wait a very long time to find a perfect one.
Not to mention prices now are pretty steep.

Yeah, forgot about the trim. Iā€™d prob just put back the passive seat belt trim minus belt until I can locate non-passive trim. Can you only use previous XJS trim, or will newer post-passive trim work?

Depends on what you can do or are willing to do.
When I went looking for mine, I also avoided Marelli. Although Lucas has its own issues, such as seizing distributor. But reading the book, all issues can be addressed, just depends on how much you want to do. Teves can be replaced with older unit, etc. For me, I found one with no rust and excellent body, but a neglected car. I can slowly replace all the mechanical, but I canā€™t do body work. Or you can pay a lot for a very well kept one, but old parts will still need replacing at some point. For me, itā€™s the adventure of slowly renewing every part of the car until one year Iā€™ve got an excellent XJS, and I KNOW the car inside and out.

As has been said many times in this forum: There is nothing as expensive as a cheap Jaguar.

4 Likes

Richard
I like the look of the convertibles with the roof up only, but thats my personal taste, so i will
only go for a coupe as its much easier to live with.
Yes you are right about the foreign cars, a nightmare to insure if possible at all also.

I see some expensive sub 100000km ones for sale, but even those are not perfect, rubbers, gaskets etc all dry up. A car not driven is also bad.

Its best if i find a jaguar club member enthusiast whos selling a good car.

Perfect ā€¦when you finish replacing everything greg, call me !!! i will be happy to buy!

I have to many cars, not enough time !

1 Like

The facelift trim will not work; you should be able to find 86 and earlier. Cant rail trim was always covered in headliner material that rots and stains, so plan on recovering. Both windshield and center post trim were in the leather color of the rest of the interior. If you find them in good shape but wrong color, they can be dyed or recovered.

Hi Peter. I picked up my 1982 HE V12 from Melbourne some years back (English delivery) and although rather neglected it suited my list which was not unlike yours. DIY seat belts, diff drain (you will need that if ever you cook your back breaks), Lucas elects and no ABS. Highly recommend either 82 or 83.
Trev

Trev

im in sydney myself. I will take some time to find a good one.
I think upto 1989 is ok as long as i avoid the marelli ignition one.

Can i ask why you recommened the 1982-83 one? Im still learning about the XJS now, this is my 5th jaguar
and second v12.

Peter

My 82 fitted my list and it was available. Also I have a mate who has an 83 and they are similar.

Iā€™m not so time poor also I love rebuilding old cars. She took me 2.5 years to get up to on road and looking great. The only time she visited a mechanic was for an exhaust analysis.

The V12 is a fascinating motor and if looked after poses no real problems.

Iā€™m on a farm near Wagga Wagga and have a register of most of the XJS V12s in the district.

Trev

Trev
what incidents of rust do you find on the XJS body from your experience.?
The XJ6 S3 were notorious for their rust around the windsheild base given their 3 peice rubbers.
How do the XJS models compare
Peter

Peter

I have restored a 1982 Daimler Vanden Plas which is an XJ6 S3 and I agree windshield surround rust is a feature but not so with my experience with the XJS.

Rust in the XJS particularly from England are more likely to have rust sites in lower body parts due to salt.

I had a bit in my 82 but metal surgery I find cathartic.

Maybe give me a ring as it is a bit complicated, 0418883380.

Best in the eveningā€¦ 8 to 9 pm.

Trev

Color comes into it too. They seemed to change color choices almost every year. Here is a good link to what choices there are.

http://www.xjsdata.com/catalog/colors/

I was holding out for British Racing green, but finally gave up. I guess i can always paint mine in the future.