White/Red wire for Low Coolant Sensor

G’Day all

Finally trying to get everything done to get Carmel back on the road.

I’m after a photo of where the White/Red Low Coolant Signal wire comes out of the harness and goes to the expansion tank. I can’t seem to find it and have the warning light on constantly

Many Thanks
Kevin
Lithgow AUS
83 XJS “Carmel”

On your '83, that’s not where the low coolant sensor is. It’s on the front side of the radiator end tank on the starboard side, an inch or two down from the top. It was relocated to the expansion tank on later models.

The expansion tank is a better idea, though, so if you ever have the radiator out for service, be sure to ask them to close up that hole. And then just drill yourself one in the expansion tank. Until then, you can just leave the sensor in place in the rad while connecting to a new one in the expansion tank.

BTW, the sensor is a simple stainless steel plug that simply pushes into a rubber bush. Looks like it’d blow right out, and sometimes it does. When I moved mine to the expansion tank, I used a SS bolt and nut instead – but that can be a real challenge to install as you’ve gotta get it into place from the inside, reaching down the fill neck.

I would usually expect a white with red tracer wire to go to the starter selenoid.

Jaguar also used the white with red tracer wire for the low coolant level
sensors. This is true on my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible, my 1990 V12
Vanden Plas, and my two Series III XJ6 Vanden Plas’.

Paul

Thanks Kirbert. I went and looked at my spare radiator - it had the boss but no sensor, so then looked(felt) where the boss is on the installed radiator and found the wire. Simple job to run extension wire from original sensor to expansion tank sensor and hey presto off goes the low coolant light.

Kevin
Lithgow AUS
83 XJS “Carmel”