Who makes the world's worst hood liner? 3 guesses!

Correct. The hood liner on the XJ40 is one big piece of crap.

I’m on my second after the first one disintegrated.

The late liners are even worse than the early ones as there isn’t even a pair of inspection lights to hold it up to the hood. My liner was so saggy & baggy that I stands what I can stands and I can’t stands no more …so, after several fixes that lasted only a short while, i.e. trying to reinforce the Tiny Kingdom fasteners with 1" washers (fail) and reinforcing the (what was left of the) holes with gorilla tape (fail), today I came up with what I hope is the LAST fix

Checking the oil today I found this lovely sight

I went to the local “fabricland” and picked up 3 packs of iron-on patches, 10 to a pack, the kind people used to put on the elbows of worn out clothes in the days when people repaired things.

Took off the liner

and got out the iron

put them on both sides and bent them over

heated up a nail red-hot and burned the new holes for the plastic nut whatever they are things

and put it back on …let’s hope she holds …

1 Like

Fortunately, I’ve never had any issues with mine. I’m assuming the liner is not available new and the replacement you got was out of another car? If so, this is the kind of thing that I’d like to see reproduced for our cars. If I could get a new one, I would, and then I could replace the stained one currently on my car.

Hey Brett, yes this liner came from a '91 XJ40. You can tell it’s an early one by the cut-outs for the under hood lights (discontinued on late cars like mine)

Good to know Larry. Honestly, I didn’t know they had eliminated the lights on the later cars, but its so rare that I see one anymore that I don’t get a lot of opportunities to notice such a thing.

Glad to hear your fix is working well.