“Why did that crazy guy make his Jag XJ-S a dually?”

What…only a mile high??? Is that safe :grimacing::grimacing: heh heh…

you say that like it’s a bad thing. :wink:

I just noticed the steel bumpers on the XJS. Nicely done. That is something I’ve been kicking around as an idea. Did you fab those yourself, or are the bumpers from another car?
You are a lucky man! beautiful ride, beautiful wife, cute kitty. kudos!

1 Like

mind-blowing

if I was a cop, I would be compelled to pull you over and check tow weights, lengths etc,
they hassle the crap out of truck drivers over here for anything like that and laws vary from state to state.

Hell, even the cat seems hugely oversize

James, I wonder if you could rig up the thrust reversers so they deploy when you apply the brakes?

2 Likes

Yes, I cut up bumpers from mark x 1960 in 4 places and spliced back by welding together to suit size of xjs.

I like it! it’s very subtle, but really finishes the look of an XJS. I hate the fat lipped bumpers of the '80’s British cars.

Yes, you are crazy alright…
Brilliant, and many a beer worth !!!

Aristides

What happened to your original pictures of your trailer ?
They are not there any more…

I’m going to have a real photographer take pics in lieu of my camera phone pictures. Soon to come :slight_smile:

If someone sends me the ‘inside width’ required to fit XJS bodyworkz, I’ll check to see if my spare front fits. I think it is from a Series 1XJ

I’m not sure what you mean or referring to. I’m pretty sure the bodyworkz isn’t a typo, but a trademark name? Is there a company who’s already made non safety standard bumpers?

Speaking of bumpers, I’m looking for Euro spec bumpers for a Series II not the rubber ones. Any ideas? There is a company in Germany that does reproduce the bumpers, but their a bit rich for my meager existence at $1600 euro. I’d rather take that money and fit an Mk X 3 carb intake.

Bodyworkz was a typo. The S1 XJ used similar bumpers to the non-Federal S2 Euro bumpers. I think my spare S1(?) front may fit a Federal S2.

I dont think they do.

The back bumpers ARE the same. The front bumper is different on the Series I. The Series II has an indent for the grill, and it doesn’t have the fascia piece (I don’t know what it’s called) behind the top of the bumper itself that covers up the hinges, and the other unsightly bits.

The “facia piece” you mentioned - when I was in the development chassis shop at Browns Lane in about 1973, all the blokes called it “a fucking right bodge!” Hope this helps!

You’re right, It is “a fucking right bodge” that bodge carried all the way through the Series III’s and the XJS’s except the Series III’s and XJS’s were plastic, In time the bodge cracks; and when it’s time for a radiator replacement in the XJS and the bonnet is left on. What hasn’t completely deteriorated from time and the weather, the bonnet and bonnet hinges pretty much finish that black plastic “bodge” off. ;

The next time I need that “fascia piece” I will be sure to use the proper term “a fucking right bodge”. I’m pretty sure the search will return some hits, probably in the “Personal Services” section; hopefully medicine will clear it up.

cheers!
Mark

2 Likes

Mark,
Your sense of humour is very similar to the English! I think you’d get on well over here!

2 Likes

When I said ‘fit’ I was referring to width between corners being the same as the later S2 ‘under-rider’ bumpers, but clearly designed to be fitted lower and withvdidferent attachments. I’ve carted it round with me becausexit looks nicer than the heavy Federal version but I’ve never offered it up to an S2 to check.

The back S1/S2 are different because of the S1 number plate lamp but are an easy enough swap.

Hi Peter,
I agree, about the bumpers, I don’t like the federal bumpers either. I wasn’t sure if the license plate light was bolted on, and could be removed without drama, and put chrome carriage bolts to plug the holes. It’s be better than the black oxidized rubber bumper. which is such an eye sore. I’ve been scouring the junk yards in Europe to locate the euro bumpers. I found some but they wanted 1,300 Euros, then Post. too much money.