Will a 4.0l AJ16 run on a 3.2l ECU?

I just brought home a couple of spare parts. Still attached to a motor

I am wondering if, should I ever need to replace my 3.2l, I could simply swap it for this 4.0l and leave everything else the same (the car is a manual, so the gearbox is not an issue). Or will that result in poor performance? Does the 4.0 have a different MAF than the 3.2? What differences are there between the 3.2 and 4.0 besides the obvious difference i.e. longer stroke on the 4l?

Cheers,
Harald

You could likely use the ECM but you would need to swap the EPROMS.

There is a TSB for the procedure and I did DOZENS when the recall was raging in the early 2000s.

The North American market never had the 3.2 but it should be close enough for this info to be of use to you.

05-1-26am5 1995 MYRecall R493.pdf (256.2 KB)

Thanks for that! Would be nice if this engine could serve as a backup without to much hassle.

Cheers,
Harald

It looks like there are really not a lot of differences between the 3.2 and 4.0. The head, inlet and exhaust manifolds, camshafts, throttle body and air flow meter are all identical. The only difference not related to the longer stroke I have found so far is the secondary air injection on the 4.0. Sounds very promising to me.
Is the EPROM contents available somewhere? Or will I have to buy an ECU to get access to the EPROM data?

Cheers,
Harald