Will not Idle without choke on

Hi guys,
I am after rebuilding my 63 3,8 E-type in the start up process. Everything as motor and carbs has been refurbished, distributor replaced with a Dutch 123 distributor.

Low idling screw 3 turns
Fast idling zero
Mix screw 2,5
Petrol new without any traces of ethanol

Trouble is car stops at choke below half level. Even when cooling fans start operatinng it stops.
Idle is then a around 2.000 rpm.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Have you set the ignition timing?
What needles do you have in the carburetors?
Try a richer mixture on all three carbs.

Ignition is set static and I have adjusted dynamically with stroboscope
Needles are UM
I have tried richer adjustment up to 3,5 turns
Have also tried 4 turns on idle screws
1 full turn on fast idle screw

When I adjusted dynamically I had blocked the connection for the brakes. Now blocked the brake vacuum connectu\ion, no change.

To clarify, you mean 2000 RPM correct? There’s a decimal point in there that confuses me…

If you have made all of those fuel adjustments without improvement I suspect your problem is timing.

Do you have the original distributor with points?

If so install it timed to 10BTDC and try that.

Another thought, from a cold start run it briefly and then feel the exhaust manifolds. This is one way to see if you’re missing a cylinder.

Lets peel back the banana…
Disconnect the choke cable…Make sure the 3 choke rods are EQUAL and forward and bottomed out, forward all together…
Once thats okay
Reset your jets …bring them all flush the 2 1/2 down ,
Make sure your NEEDLES ARE ALL EVEN …Butt each one up to each other they should just barely touch needle to needle, easy way that all three are even.
Bottom out slow mix screw then back out 2 turns…
THENNNN disconnect your throttle linkage, make sure all three butterflies are flush and closed.
Once that is done BACKOUT all choke screws then using a piece of paper turn choke screws till it touches the paper
You should be real close
With all that done, make sure your vac advances is plugged start car and set to 10 btdc.
Maybe you have to turn to 3 turns on jets for more gas, you should be close…
re hook up your choke cable…
YOUR CHEATING WITH THE CHOKE…GOOD LUCK~!
GTJOEY1314
PS you could have a HUGE VACUUM LEAK but try the above first…
pm me if you get stuck…

1 Like

Thanks for your your response. I see my heading was opposite, the car will not idle without choke on. :wink:

I will go through your step by step procedue and do it step by step.

Hi yes, 2000 rom😊

My heading should have read, it will not idle without choke on. Sorry about it.
But I think the forum has got my problem right.

Could also be an air leak?

1 Like

Would you like to have the title edited?

I fixed your title for you. Hope you don’t mind, if you do let me know and I’ll change it back.

1 Like

This. The first thing I’d check is that the throttles are all closed.

1 Like

Thank you. Sorry about it. :blush:

You are welcome. Nothing to be sorry about, we’ve all done it at one time or another.

I think you have the issue of my problem :slight_smile:

I think it should be a little slack on that little horizontal link to each butterfly shouldn’t it? What do you recommend ?

I have now zeroed out the needles, so that all are equal length from piston, 2 turns low idle screw, zero touch just with a paper in between on the fast idle screw and 2,5 turns fuel air mix screw.

Ove

| Virusfri. www.avg.com |

• | - |

man. 14. des. 2020 kl. 01:02 skrev Michael Frank via Jag-lovers Forums <noreply@jag-lovers.com>:

And the wind up is?
If it still stalls go 3 down and 3 up on both sets of mixture screws
Triple check the timing

Undo the shaft clamps. Rotate each butterfly until it’s closed and hold it there while tightening the associated clamp. Forget the paper nonsense. Back out the fast idle screws so that there’s a clear air gap between the screw and lever. They aren’t engaged once the choke is off, so get them out of the way for now. That should get you to the point where the mixture volume screws control the idle.

If you’re absolutely positive the distributor was set at 10 BTC, then it’s unlikely a distributor problem. But if you still can’t get it to idle, pull the cap and inspect the carbon center contact.

Mike its a 123 dizzy, If he removes the cap and leaves just the positive wire on the coil…Then turn the key, He can set tdc with the green light, but its starting up.
Does it stall with the other adjustments?

Ove

Just to make sure we are all speaking to the same parameters

To set up the idle air volume screw, it should first be screwed in all the way, then unscrewed the number of turns. Say three turns.

To set up the air/fuel mixture adjustment screw, take the dashpot off the carb, unscrew (counter clockwise) the mixture screw until the jet rises up and is flush with the bridge. Then screw it clockwise 2 1/2 turns. This will position the jet about 55 thou below the bridge

Another thing to check is if you have set the float level correctly. Did you set the level according to the manual ?

Dennis 69 OTS with triple SUs